Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > Web Hosting Forums > Domain Name Issues > Why should we pay for WhoIS guard?
forgot password?



FORUM SUPPORTERS:

Reply


Old
  Post #16 (permalink)   04-03-2007, 04:24 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,726

Status: webfreak08 is offline
Quote:
If you have a proper data base of your clients with backups with accurate contact details, and if your serious abt your business, and Retrieving the data for any legal issues is not a big deal, and it won't take a whole staff or have to spend a fortune to get the job done, instead you can get the relevant data in just a click of a button in less than a minute
Can you provide such an infrastructure for free?
 
 
 


Old
  Post #17 (permalink)   04-03-2007, 04:29 PM
HD Wizard
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PEI
Posts: 2,713

Status: Blue is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal813
Well as far as I know, even phone companies do the same. They CHARGE extra to hide your number eg. Blocked Caller.

So I can see WHY registrars charge, while at the same time, I can see them thinking.."Hey! this is a good oppertunity to make more off customers!"


Can you name a single business that does not do the same?
They are providing a service they have no obligation to provide.

Isn't the whole escense of being in business to make money?
__________________
Hampshire Hosting
Affordable Shared and Reseller Hosting
 
 
 


Old
  Post #18 (permalink)   04-03-2007, 04:32 PM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 78

Status: Dev4vip is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMMark
Now in regards to them doing it just to make money.....indeed. However, what's wrong with that? That's what business is about...making money. Just as you are in business to make money, and find ways to make more, they do to. That's a healthy business in fact. You recognize a need, then you fullfill it.

Keep in mind that there are quite a few free hosting providers. Does that mean you're a bad person or business for charging for hosting?

You cannot make a business out of everything my dear friend coz there are moral and ethical values in this world, How would you feel if someone using your personal information to make a quick buck..? Ru ok with that? I wont Maybe some one is already using your personal info to make a quick buck, and the point is, are you really aware of it...? or you don’t have a clue that person is charging you money to hide your own details but yet as you said anyone can get your info from another source,.... isn't that funny?

And providing free web hosting does not violate any moral or ethical values because web hosting is a service which has no life and cannot be touch nor seen not even smell or feel and does not involve any individuals real life information. But ya as a business man my self i do not agree when people offer ridiculous free web hosting with full features and resources as it is not good for the web hosting industry as a whole.
__________________
Goviphosting.com - For Speed and Reliability
SEO Hosting,A Class IP Hosting, Goviphosting, VPS Hosting, Hosting Blog

Last edited by Dev4vip : 04-03-2007 at 04:43 PM.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #19 (permalink)   04-03-2007, 04:40 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,726

Status: webfreak08 is offline
Quote:
You cannot make a business out of everything my dear friend coz there are moral and ethical values in this world
Yes, there are values which certain businesses adhere to. However, as long as a business is not misleading its customers or doing anything illegal, I see it perfectly fine to try and make as much money as possible if that's what they choose to do.

No one is forcing anyone (holding a gun to someone's head) to pay for a private registration.

Quote:
But ya as a business man my self
Good luck in business.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #20 (permalink)   04-03-2007, 04:54 PM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 78

Status: Dev4vip is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfreak08
Yes, there are values which certain businesses adhere to. However, as long as a business is not misleading its customers or doing anything illegal, I see it perfectly fine to try and make as much money as possible if that's what they choose to do.

No one is forcing anyone (holding a gun to someone's head) to pay for a private registration.

Good luck in business.
I think someone is holding very BIG gun for sure , coz either you should display ur details and if you change them on your own the person who hold the BIG gun will shoot you rite on your forehead, and bang your dead, so you have no choice other than to spend extra to cover your own self, itz call a mafia

And in present day business world, its not the company that matters, its the customer satisfsction, coz "Customer is the king" so you should treat your customers pretty nice, if not you will lose the game and your compnay and business will go down and thats it.
__________________
Goviphosting.com - For Speed and Reliability
SEO Hosting,A Class IP Hosting, Goviphosting, VPS Hosting, Hosting Blog
 
 
 


Old
  Post #21 (permalink)   04-03-2007, 09:24 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,628

Status: ANMMark is offline
First, I'll ignore the fact that for a business man, I had to re-read your last few posts numerous times, to understand a thing you were saying (you may want to consider working on that as customers typically don't like needing an interpreter to understand something that appears to be english)

In any case, I can sum this up in just a few sentences.

1. There is nothing immoral about charging for privacy guard services.

2. I have not seen one legit business WANT to hide their contact information. In fact, they want their contact information splattered on every street corner if possible. Thus, Privacy Guard or it's fees really isn't a topic for actual businesses.

3. The only people that Privacy Guard and it's fees apply to, are those who want to hide their contact information. This may be acceptable for personal websites and hobby sites, etc, but absolutely not for businesses.

4. Why not charge for Privacy Guard? The fact is the hosting industry is being raped by children offering 200GB of space and "unlimited" bandwidth for $0.99/month, that the least a hosting customer can do is actually pay for something in their online endeavors.
__________________
Mark
NIC™ - Network Innovative Concepts - Get ready for R.A.I.N.
Protect your website from hackers NIC™ - SiteLock
 
 
 


Old
  Post #22 (permalink)   04-04-2007, 12:34 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 78

Status: Dev4vip is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMMark
First, I'll ignore the fact that for a business man, I had to re-read your last few posts numerous times, to understand a thing you were saying (you may want to consider working on that as customers typically don't like needing an interpreter to understand something that appears to be english)

In any case, I can sum this up in just a few sentences.

1. There is nothing immoral about charging for privacy guard services.

2. I have not seen one legit business WANT to hide their contact information. In fact, they want their contact information splattered on every street corner if possible. Thus, Privacy Guard or it's fees really isn't a topic for actual businesses.

3. The only people that Privacy Guard and it's fees apply to, are those who want to hide their contact information. This may be acceptable for personal websites and hobby sites, etc, but absolutely not for businesses.

4. Why not charge for Privacy Guard? The fact is the hosting industry is being raped by children offering 200GB of space and "unlimited" bandwidth for $0.99/month, that the least a hosting customer can do is actually pay for something in their online endeavors.

Well now you don’t have to get all personal and attack me in a very smoother way coz i don’t think i got all personal and attacked you, i was just trying to make my point and make this thread lil interesting as the person who start the thread pointed out " Why should we pay for WhoIS guard?"

So You say its ok, and i say its not, and so if anyone wanna pay to hide their own details they can, and if anyone don't wanna pay,.... then they don’t have to, they can simply go for a domain name registrar who offer the same service for free.

And i never mentioned any where that a business should hide their details, i was making my point in general simply because publicly disclosing your details on the net can be very dangerous, but whenever a legal issue arises the registrar can always provide the accurate contact details of the domain owner since the company has it in its databases and to provide them to the relevant authorities. And it’s a very simple process which will not cost anything in large scale.

And im sorry you had a very hard time understanding what i was saying, so i would surely work on that. Tanks for pointing out and no hard feelings Peace out
__________________
Goviphosting.com - For Speed and Reliability
SEO Hosting,A Class IP Hosting, Goviphosting, VPS Hosting, Hosting Blog
 
 
 


Old
  Post #23 (permalink)   04-04-2007, 02:33 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 203

Status: bandboy is offline
Lets stick to the thread and not attack anyone personally (finger pointed at no one)

My intention behind this thread is to demarcate requirements for whois records. Like there may be business users who want whois records visible, even their tel. and resi/office address, but there are far greater no. of people who don't want anything other than name and email address be visible. So, question is how do we balance it out so that both the populations benefit?

Why should we pay for hiding it, when such a feature must come as default from ICANN or registrars and anyone who wishes to have their tel and address visible, may opt out and have it visible.

I am not against display of whois records, but display of telephone no. and residential address in case person is not a businessman or is using domain for reasons other than business, lets say have a family site and so on.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #24 (permalink)   04-04-2007, 11:22 AM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,628

Status: ANMMark is offline
Dev4vip, please point out where I personally attacked you in my post. In fact, the only time I pinpointed you at all, was to give you some friendly advice on your grammar, after you stated that you were a business man. After stating such, you really should be careful how you spell things, and the grammar you use to communicate. Very much the same as if I were to speak to a Japanese client, then completely butcher their language, I doubt they would be too happy. Generally speaking, as a business, if you are going to speak to someone in their language, you should always strive to do so properly. That's just friendly advice, not an attack.
__________________
Mark
NIC™ - Network Innovative Concepts - Get ready for R.A.I.N.
Protect your website from hackers NIC™ - SiteLock
 
 
 


Old
  Post #25 (permalink)   04-05-2007, 12:37 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 203

Status: bandboy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMMark
Dev4vip, please point out where I personally attacked you in my post. In fact, the only time I pinpointed you at all, was to give you some friendly advice on your grammar, after you stated that you were a business man. After stating such, you really should be careful how you spell things, and the grammar you use to communicate. Very much the same as if I were to speak to a Japanese client, then completely butcher their language, I doubt they would be too happy. Generally speaking, as a business, if you are going to speak to someone in their language, you should always strive to do so properly. That's just friendly advice, not an attack.
It is better to pass friendly advises via PM, and not in open. When posted in threads, such so called friendly advises are visible to everyone and person you intend to advise, may feel offended or other members jump in to advise him or argue over it.

Anyways, lets come back to topic.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #26 (permalink)   04-05-2007, 06:04 AM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,628

Status: ANMMark is offline
bandboy, you seem to have me all wrong. I usually just say what everyone else feels.

Keep in mind, my title is "Community Advisor" thus it is part of my job to help "advise the community". The advise I gave benefits anyone who wants to go in business and has the idea to speak slang to the public and their customers.
__________________
Mark
NIC™ - Network Innovative Concepts - Get ready for R.A.I.N.
Protect your website from hackers NIC™ - SiteLock
 
 
 


Old
  Post #27 (permalink)   04-05-2007, 03:35 PM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 78

Status: Dev4vip is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMMark
Dev4vip, please point out where I personally attacked you in my post. In fact, the only time I pinpointed you at all, was to give you some friendly advice on your grammar, after you stated that you were a business man. After stating such, you really should be careful how you spell things, and the grammar you use to communicate. Very much the same as if I were to speak to a Japanese client, then completely butcher their language, I doubt they would be too happy. Generally speaking, as a business, if you are going to speak to someone in their language, you should always strive to do so properly. That's just friendly advice, not an attack.
I wrote a reply but then again i decided to withdraw it, coz i dnt wanna waste my time or others time by dragging this on. So Good luck to everyone who wanna pay for Pvt Registration

Dnt ever think im just running away, coz im not. its just that i dnt like to argue with people who think that they know everything.

"Learn to let go and be freeeeeeeeeee"

Peace out
__________________
Goviphosting.com - For Speed and Reliability
SEO Hosting,A Class IP Hosting, Goviphosting, VPS Hosting, Hosting Blog

Last edited by Dev4vip : 04-05-2007 at 03:48 PM.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #28 (permalink)   04-05-2007, 04:15 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,628

Status: ANMMark is offline
I absolutely respect your view, and in fact the majority of my post in question was on the topic of your views, not your grammar. It just so happens that my advice on your grammar was pinpointed rather than my post in it's entirety.

As an advisor I should be polite. As a human being I have an opinion, and my opinion and prerogative is to be honest and straight forward. Sometimes that hurts people's feelings, but no one can ever say that ANMMark sugar coats anything. My statement wasn't intended to hurt your feelings, humiliate you, or make you run off. My statement was meant as I said it, advice. I don't think I know it all, and I am the first to admit that I don't know everything.

I merely stated that it took me numerous times to read your post and determine exactly what you were saying, and that you should be careful when you communicate to your customers in that manner, as it reflects badly.

Most of all, please don't make the mistake of thinking I don't care about everyone's views. Everyone has different views, which is what creates a community, and gives people like me a reason to jump in.
__________________
Mark
NIC™ - Network Innovative Concepts - Get ready for R.A.I.N.
Protect your website from hackers NIC™ - SiteLock
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: