1&1 Web hosting

I have for about 2 years, with their cheapest shared hosting package. It was surprisingly stable and fast compared to most of their direct competitors that I've tried. They probably some cache system in place, which would explain the server speed.

One major downside (or maybe upside from a small site owner's perspective) is that they have a strict limit on database size (100 or 200MB from what I recall), and that, because they're totally procedures run, if you fall through the cracks, you might as well talk to a wall. :)

Are you going to try out? This company is managing a huge business but I have no personal experience with them. Sometimes I would prefer to some small company for better support.

Hi,

I know someone who uses them. I think they're OK if you just want run of the mill hosting.

Anything out of the ordinary on their shared hosting and your SOL, as they say ;)

HTH,

Nick.

I have a domain purchased with 1&1 they took 24 hours to activate my domain and they actually never ever answered my support ticket when i asked why it was taking so long.

I agree with Umbee about the supermarket web hosts. They have gotten so big, that customer service is just a process and no personal anymore. I want my customer to succeed, these big guys don't care, lose one get 10 more fools who run to the most established name in the business, or who can afford to stay at the top of Google search results.

Based off web hosting geeks review they're terrible. Below is the link of the reviews.

http://webhostinggeeks.com/user-reviews/index2.php?item_id=6

Thanks,
I'm curious about this on one the reviews on web hosting geeks site, specifically about the credit card verification fee.
1&1 Charged my credit card for ........ Nothing!

It was a 5days ago when I found that 1&1 is offering a $0.99 .com domains for 1year. That was a good deal for me as I am reselling domains for $9.95. I started the sign up process, every thing was working cool until the confirmation message that says "Continue to review your order before submitting it" kept clicking but looks like the button was not working. 4Minutes later my credit card was charged 6USD then 1USD. Hell! WHY?!. I contacted the support and it was the worst decision. Firstly they said 6USD is charged for Card Verification 'I have never seen a company charging for verifying a credit card".
Is anyone else in the industry doing this? Is this legal?

Steve this is the first instance I have heard about on the over charging of Credit Cards by this company. I don't know if it is legal but I doubt it. But, at the same time the credit card industry is changing and new fees are being pass onto the consumer more and more often. There must be others out there who have had a similar experience. I would like to know more about it because it could just be a bad error on someones part and I would not want to lay false blame out there.

By the way, 1&1 is big company so it's common to see both negative and positive reviews. If you are trying to find a suitable service you should know what your requirement is then start the research.

There are a fair balance of good and bad reviews of their services but they seem to be getting bigger and bigger judging by the amount of TV commercials I always see of their products.

IMO, they're domain registration services are pretty decent, however their hosting is similar to all those other providers like JustHost, HostMonster, etc.

We have customers leaving them to come to us. I think people are sick of these supermarket webhosts.

We have the same too.

Only thing is they tie you to 12 month contracts, and so do other companies same as 1&1.

I have heard terrible stories about it.

IMO stay away, they have enough business to handle, give the smaller boys a chance because the big boys really do not care (from stories and experience)

But their control panel sucks also.