What is the #1 thing you want a host to have? It can only be one. :p

-Reliable (99.9%+ Uptime)
-24/7 Support
-Cheap Prices
-Many good reviews
-Age (Been around for 1+ years)
-Other

Reliable in my books.
If a host is reliably online then most other things take care of themselves.

Reliability.
All the others come second.

If your web site is not responding, would you rather have:

1: a responding website?
2: 24/7 Support
3: Cheap Prices
4: Many good reviews
5: Age (Been around for 1+ years)

See what I mean? :)

There are plenty of successful providers out there that offer reliability and 24/7 support - obliviously they go hand-in-hand. When I search, I look for all five, plus some more. I just read a sticky by Blue posted a couple of years back that still applies today - on what to look for when selecting a provider. It really just boils down to selecting a provider that matches your requirements.

Reliability, certainly; support is a close second. I don't really care whether or not the support is 24/7, as long as I get a same- or next-day response from someone who's actually qualified and able to solve my problem.

Still, it's no single thing that hooks me in. A good host has all the bases covered. :agree:

Reliability.

Nothing is as clear as reliability. If you have a reliable hardware setup, support is near to useless. you will hardly ever need to contact the tech rep.

Reliability.

Nothing is as clear as reliability. If you have a reliable hardware setup, support is near to useless. you will hardly ever need to contact the tech rep.
I think we need to clarify support. Most of us think in terms of support given directly to the client. 24/7 support to me encompasses on site staff that maintain the integrity of your infrastructure. Who responds to a moisture alert at 2 in the morning? Is this handled by an email to a Blackberry, or by on-site technicians? Reliability and support are intertwined.

though I'd have the expectation of 99%+ uptime.
That means up to 1/3 of a day of downtime per month. It is pretty much unacceptable for most sites out there. Even hobby sites won't be all that satisfied with that IMHO.

For so long we have marketed our hosting company as being a support orientated company, however in the past year or so, the support and reliability have been our two that we're marketing together. Clear communication and on time support are pretty much hand in hand with reliable support/service.

Definitely there's no one single item that a user will want, it's always a combination of all things.

All of them are important. That is mistake to range some above others and vice versa. All mentored things are important if you really looking for the reliable service

Cheers

Does reliable mean only that the network is always up? How does that relate to a support staff dealing with customized solutions, or troubleshooting client error?

Does reliable mean only that the network is always up?
The way I see it, I don't really care if the server has issues, or the network is iffy, or the generator is on fire. Downtime is downtime and there are those who keep it to a minimum and those who are not. I will read the story and give it some weight, but at the end of the day, I want my site to be accessible.

If 50% of the time the network is down and 50% of the time the server is down, what I see is 100% downtime. :)

I agree completely with considering that unacceptable. I think we're splitting hairs because we all kinow that successful providers have to have a mix of great reliability and support - and still be competitively priced.