A Simple Question

To be succesful it requires hard work and dedication. Also choose a niche wisely so that you can focus on a part of the market and something that is not saturated. If you are a web designer then you will have a good help from clients you design for and being able to offer them hosting services over.

Targetting the local market may be a good way to go also.

This is no way a fully comprehensive list... but I am sure others will chime in with their ideas too.

Just remember hard work is the key! But not just hard work... effective work also.

Simple answer :)

Customers, good & loyal who want to buy a sustainable package. The market is flooded with kiddie hosts offering much for pocket money, competing on price will most probably not lead to success.

Technically, you'll need to be able to keep the servers up for at least 95%, most seem to expect 99.999% these days, but without expensive clustered systems then 5 9's is not really possible (unless you're lucky!). High 90's is possible for most sysadmins and in reality is acceptable for most customers.

Keep your customer informed, if you're doing an upgrade, then tell them, it stops the support calls :)

Not competing against price is good advice. Pick a price that you feel you can sustain a good business model and do not fall in to the trap of... "That host is cheaper then me... I must match or beat his prices to gain clients".

5 9's is hard to sustain. 99.9+% is quite obtainable if you have a good network and good admins.

With you being a reseller you do not need to worry so much about the technical side of that though... you just need to make sure you pick a host who can keep a good uptime.

Informing customers... As monaghan mentioned, you keep them informed and they are happy. As long as a good chanel of communication is open and customers are not left and confused at what is happening then they are safe.

Hi,
i think the following must be kept in mind :

Multiple domain hosting – To become a web hosting reseller, the first
step is to get yourself a multiple domain account.

Control Panel – It is preferable to have full administrative control
over your client’s web sites.

Terms and conditions – Terms and conditions are essential when offering
any service, ensure that all your clients have a copy of your terms and
conditions.

Fast and reliable support - Fast and reliable, service and support, is
essential, from your web hosting company.

Reselling can be a very profitable side business if you find the right
host. It may take up some of your time, however, if you put the time
and effort into providing a little bit extra in your services, not only
will your clients be a lot happier you will have a rewarding total web
services business.
silvermoon

It may seem like a simple question but there are so many considerations you are best to properly research this carefully before you start. You may even want to ask yourself what you consider to be "a successful website hosting reseller"

I think that once you go through enough of these forums you will see it is not a simple question.