About MS Frontpage

pmhoran

Its been discussed in another recent thread ... but was just curious if any of you might have some more specific knowledge about it.

For years I had designed & built my site www.merlinean.com using FrontPage ... and was quite happy with it. For the most part ... despite its short comings. It allowed me to edit & maintain my site even during those periods when my brain wasn't functioning right. I still refer to FrontPage as "idiot proof" because of that.

Unfortunately, February 2005 the site grew to more than 200 pages and I suddenly could not edit any of the site with FrontPage. The ones at MS Support & on their Newsgroups all claimed FrontPage had no limit to the number of pages it could handle and could offer no reason why FrontPage might have stopped working for me. It still worked fine on about 6 other sites I had.

Does anyone here definitely know anything different??? Its something that has been bothering me since back then. I eventually moved the whole thing over to XOOPS (www.xoops.org) and have been quite happy with it. But my brain has to be functioning to a certain level before I can attempt to add or modify anything.

I am going to be starting another site which is likely to expand to over the 200 pages over the next few years. I would prefer to use FrontPage but only IF I know my experience in Feb 2005 won't be repeated.

Anyway, I appreciate any and all input on the subject.
Thanks much
Peter

Last edited:
Peter, what specifically is happening when you try to edit pages?
Are you able to open the site at all in FP?

Hi Blue ...

Let's be clear I have not experienced the problem since I moved everything over to you :) I had the site reconstructed using XOOPS a year before I moved over to you :)

But ... at the time ... I could open the site, move around the various pages ... but it would not accept any changes I tried to make. Not editing a page, adding a new one or changing the "navigation tree".

I could go on to any other site I was using FrontPage for and had no problems at all. So the software itself must have been working. I reinstalled the FrontPage extensions on the 200+page site .... made no difference. My host at the time went in & checked everything ... and he said everything with that site specifically was OK in every way that they could check.

Like I said ... this all happened 1 1/2 years ago. Since then I have only been using FrontPage for the sites I know will always remain less than a dozen or so pages. But ... I would like to start a new site using FrontPage but it has the potential of becoming quite large ... and just wonder if anyone has heard of FrontPage have a limit to the number of pages it can handle.

MS says there is no limit ... but I have found they don't always tell the truth.

Peter