Adobe buys Magento - $1.8Billion - Does this affect you?

bigredseo

HD Community Advisor
Staff member
The purchase certainly came out of left field for a wide number of people. Nobody really expected it. The IRCE is next month (Internet Retailer Conference + Exhibition), so this will be all the buzz at the event this year.

The big question, do you foresee this helping or hurting your web hosting or web design business?

From my perspective, Magento has been targeting the Enterprise Solution pretty heavy the past few years, and have nearly forgotten about the Community Edition ($12k-$20k per year license for Enterprise).

Can Adobe breathe new life into the community edition, or will they focus on the dollars ONLY?

It's hard to know how to feel because Adobe cloud was good and bad. I hate that it killed off being able to regular software but I do like that for the year you get the entire office suit for one of the packages. So for them to take over I have no idea what is going change.

Fingers-crossed, it will be about adding more value to their offering, as opposed to monetising it greatly.

They're getting an increasing number of good (often free or cheaper) competitors in their 'creative' field, so hopefully they'll be good for Magento, and for consumers. Hopefully.

Who knows? Anything is possible. It's hard to guessimate (my own word) what Adobe's motivation is with this acquisition.
It is a strange one, looks like they are after a slice of the ecommerce market and as magenta is little used due to its heavy resource usage, it would have been very easy for Permira to sell it on and get a nice payment $1.68bn.

this is the statement released

In May 2018 it was announced that Magento would be acquired by Adobe for $1.68bn with a view to integrating it into Adobe Experience Cloud, its Enterprise CMS platform.[8] The transaction is expected to complete between June and August of 2018, Q3 of Adobe's fiscal year.

Adobe is great it seems to me however they are a little more income conscious than other tech companies. IE very little opensource programs , they may have bought Magneto because it was digging into their sales. We might see Magneto change from open source to some kind of limited freemium version. This is the adobe way.

Adobe is great it seems to me however they are a little more income conscious than other tech companies. IE very little opensource programs , they may have bought Magneto because it was digging into their sales. We might see Magneto change from open source to some kind of limited freemium version. This is the adobe way.

As long as they sort out magenta so it is less resource intensive

You must have been planning on changing to something, though. Magento is deprecating M1 in the next two years. Stay or leave, you need to be developing your next platform NOW.