Advice needed

eazy

First off, I'd like to say that I do not run a hosting company. My problem is with my hosting company.
A little background on my situation: I have hosted 3 websites on one account for about three years now. Last year my hosting company was sold. The new ownership honored my account and I renewed for another year.
This year when my renewal was due, all three of my websites were deactivated prior to my payment being made. I made the agreed upon payment, and after 3 days one on my websites was reactivated. That was nearly three weeks ago.
Since then I have sent numerous emails to their sales department as well as to their support department, with no response of any type. Needless to say I am at my wits end, as I am trying to create a little extra income from these sites.
And no, like a newbie, I failed to back-up my websites, so I no longer have access to the files, folders, etc. that were stored on these sites.

My question to you is, what action if any, can I now take to try and resolve this issue?

eazy,
Was your payment made on time for the yearly renewal? If you can show that your payment was on time, or ahead of time, show that one account is activated and happy and the other two are still suspened, and show the E-mails detailing your requests to unlock the accounts to no avail...I would recommend going down to the court house and perhaps filing against the host to release the sites and the files to you at once.

meh, forget the court house, just play hardball with them. Send them a fake attached letter from a "law firm" insisting that the sites be released with the appropriate information to backup your argument. Get the info from their whois and snail mail them a copy as well and try to call the number on the whois if available.

I do not think that fake legal papers will get him anywhere, except for more problems.
I would, however, send them a very serious letter that would describe the problem and potential resolutions. This letter should confront them if they are at fault.

Best,

My lawyer said:

Well, my lawyer said that he should, if he dosen't want to go to court, provide the facts and tell him that he will see him in court if he don't give you a refund and/or your files. If he dosen't file a 3rd person law suite on him. Thats where you pay a laywer to do all the work for you and you dont appear at any court; you would win. If you dont wish to pay that you can always pay someone to hack their server or probablly get someone to do it for free. What I would do if they rip me off... :cool:

a fake letter is an unsubstantiated claim. However, someone child enough to play games with a business isn't going to challenge a letter of this nature. Furthermore, its free and basically harmless. I honestly do not see anything wrong with this approach, and it makes you seem alot more serious than just a peronal note/letter.

I see that one of your sites are re-activiated, but you still do not have access to your account? You cannot even login?

I think you should backup your things as soon as you have access to your account ~

AmericanHoster said:
Well, my lawyer said that he should, if he dosen't want to go to court, provide the facts and tell him that he will see him in court if he don't give you a refund and/or your files. If he dosen't file a 3rd person law suite on him. Thats where you pay a laywer to do all the work for you and you dont appear at any court; you would win. If you dont wish to pay that you can always pay someone to hack their server or probablly get someone to do it for free. What I would do if they rip me off... :cool:
"tell him that he will see him in court if he don't give you a refund and/or your files"... Actually, threatening a company with legal action permits the company to completely stop any sort of communication with you. Did your lawyer tell you that?

Michael, can you please name who your lawyer is and what firm he works at? I would like to verify the information with him/her directly at my expense. Telling a person what your lawyer said assumes a reasonable level of responsibility for the outcome.

Best,

AmericanHoster said:

So, as a self proclaimed "professional" host you would advocate someone paying to have a server hacked?

You even replied to an ad on this forum to a person looking for a partner. Perhaps I will refer him to this thread to show the lack of ethics you are showing. It will give him a better insight as to who he could potentially be dealing with.

Most people don't like to deal with partners who are so willing to break the law.

I have been thinking of changing lawyers myself.
Could you please send me the phone number and address of your lawyer.

Blue said:
Most people don't like to deal with partners who are so willing to break the law.
He is not willing, he already did break the law when he was selling pirated products in school. He said so publicly himself. I wonder if the same lawyer advices him to do it. :idea:

Artashes said:
He is not willing, he already did break the law when he was selling pirated products in school. He said so publicly himself. I wonder if the same lawyer advices him to do it. :idea:

You're right Art.
I wonder how a potential partner would feel about him selling pirated products and ripping off his own Mother as a loan shark. (another illegal act I might add)