Affiliated Company Takes Over Registration

1234h

I would like to know if anyone has heard, or experienced, a situation where you researched one company, found it on the ICAAN list of registrars, studied its website, its ToS, studied customer comments, and communicated with the company before signing any agreement, and after you paid them to be your registrar and they acknowledged payment, and all that goes with that ackowledgement, an affiliated company stepped in that you didn't know existed and made you sign a new ToS with that company, and when asked why you received a response which stated this?

Hello,

Please be aware that ***** ***** is an affiliated company to *****. All transfers of domain names to ***** are with sponsoring registrar ***** *****. That does not mean that your domain name will be managed through ***** *****. If you initiate a domain name transfer to ***** it will be completely managed through your account with *****. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

I would like to know if anyone has heard, or experienced, a situation where you researched one company, found it on the ICAAN list of registrars, studied its website, its ToS, studied customer comments, and communicated with the company before signing any agreement, and after you paid them to be your registrar and they acknowledged payment, and all that goes with that ackowledgement, an affiliated company stepped in that you didn't know existed and made you sign a new ToS with that company, and when asked why you received a response which stated this?

The only thing I can think is they bought controlling interest in the registrar you signed up with, so they are the "parent" company.

Other than that... :shocked: I can't think of anything.

Thank you for the responses everyone.

As to the first response, interestingly enough, soon after posting here, I received further information from ***** stating that they own ***** *****.

The timing of that email correspondence is probably just a coincidence, but it makes one wonder.

As for the second response, and with fears of trouble stating so, we are giving that serious consideration. Very serious consideration.

I also should state that it is best for all to know what company did this to us, but for the time being, until we sort this out, I am refraining from doing so.

But I will tell you that at no place on company *****'s website, nor in any agreement we signed, so to speak, did we see anything indicating this would happen. Nor were we informed at anytime before we paid the money that we would be required to sign a new ToS with a company that is not even in the same country.

Company ***** is in the United States, and company ***** ***** is in Canada.

Quite frankly, if the law allows this sort of business in the state where company ***** is registered, it shouldn't. And that's where the lawmakers need to step in. And I am going to see to it that they do.

Laws related to business on the Internet need to start keeping pace with changes on the Internet. A tall order, I know. But this is an excellent case to highlight that point. The wild-west days of the Internet have to stop.

I, for one, am getting mighty fed up with having to sign agreements that are worthless.

Such lines like we can change this agreement at anytime and it is your reponsibility to check for those changes and you must agree to the changes we make make me sick to my stomach.

You know what really kicks me in the arse is I had done a few days of research and studied that company's website and all looked fine. I allowed for one month before expiration of the present registration.

I other words, I thought I had touched all the bases, done all the homework, and BAM!

So there is a new question everyone should keep in mind to ask a prospective registrar, even if they are on the ICAAN list.

Are you going to pull a switch on me? Is there an affiliate hiding somewhere that will end up having the registration of my domain?

How could I have possibly anticipated something like this happening?

I did a lot of studying and never saw anything on any site about something like this happening.

I have to take full responsibility for this mess, because nobody on my staff was involved in the research of this particular company until the decision was pretty much made. They trusted me. I blew it!!

well, by the looks of the way things are censored, you have picked some shady registrars.

I don't think this really falls under the category of "shady". I would be very surprised if they actually broke any laws.

And the company had no negative reviews here or on any other site I checked. I didn't do much checking of their own site's reviews, because I can't say as I trust that style. What company is going to approve a negative review in an easy-to-see location on their own website?

But my point is, this company met all the requirements that seemed to be on everyone's list here and a few other sites. And this company is no small player. I really thought I had found myself a good company.

But "shady" may be a bit harsh, even though I feel awful about this.

"Strange" is the word that comes to my mind. Very strange.

shady tactics that led them to get their name censored.

Oh no, no, no. I'm sorry, I see what you mean, now.

That's me doing that for the time being to give the company the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry, I didn't quite understand that in your earlier post.