AllManagaed/Sagonet Expirience (Horror Story)

slackification

Hello All,

This has to be the worst expirience I have ever had and is totally unbelievable.

I ordered a pre-order special that AllManagaed/Sagonet had posted:

P4 3 ghz
1 GB ram
120 GB HD
1500 GB Transfer
Cpanel
$140/month

The servers were due to be delivered the 10th so I wait.

The 10th comes, nothing all day. Finally at 1:45 a.m. EST the server is setup, yay. I login/logout just to make sure I can and I go to bed.

I wake up the next morning the 11th to find Matt telling me that the cpanel installs were broken and that they would have to fix it. No problem, so it takes them about 2 hours or so to fix it (no biggie, I'm in no rush). Well when they are done fixing it, services are still off and broken. (specifically proftpd, spamd)

So I go in and fix those, play around a little bit and then log off the box.

Later that night I tried to login and nothing. I ping the server/traceroute the server, nothing. Well I send an email to support@allmanaged.com (seems there support area is down). Nothing happeneds in an hour. Finally on a thread where someone asked for a speed test I said I would but my allmanaged server was down, one of their guys saw it and alerted tech support. So my server was down for over an hour after I submitted the support ticket (who knws how long before then). Well I get an answer and they find out that it was a bad switch port so they connected me to a new one. I was offered free hosting for the delay but I turned it down. I told them instead I would like Fedora with Plesk. I was told that would be done today.

It around 5 p.m. CST I submitted a support ticket requesting a refund since there was no Fedora + Plesk install. I messaged Matt kindly asking for my refund and guess what. I'm told I'm not getting a refund.

I have never used this server, nothing has been hosted on it, only logged in maybe 4 times. It's less then 3 days old and I'm told I'm not going to be issued a refund, this sure seems like fraud to me. I told Matt about a law the state of Missouri has (and since he is doing business in the state via the internet he has to follow it) a 3 day refund policy, a very strong consumer protection. I told him it is fraud which is a felony, he said "do what you have to do".

So this is ridiculous, I just feel really cheated right now.

Sorry to hear that Ross, I'd take it over his head. I don't know anything about the laws there, but I'd take him up on that, "do what you have to do" offer. Keep us updated!

I'm truly sorry to hear that you are having these problems with your host. Its hard to recommend what to do because it doesn't seem like you'll get anywhere. You can threaten to sue all you want, and he probably won't care, and the cost of sueing would not be worth it to begin with. So thats out of the question. A simple refund seems out of the question. Maybe your best bet is to just use the server and try to get the most out of your money. Maybe someone else has other suggestions....my thinking well seems empty

I told them instead I would like Fedora with Plesk. I was told that would be done today.

It around 5 p.m. CST I submitted a support ticket requesting a refund since there was no Fedora + Plesk install.

I personally find that while you were patient, regarding the setup of your server, I find that requesting a refund on that basis is unreasonable.

According to you, they told you that it would be done "today." 5PM (the middle of the day) is hardly a full day, so it appears as though they still had 7 hours to complete their offer, within the time limit of "today" which was given to you.

You basically asked them to scratch an already installed OS, reformat the drive, install a new OS, and then a new CP. This obviously takes some time, and time management to balance within the day of other tasks they may possibly have on their plate.

disagree

Why should he not get a refund? If he is not happy, he should not be told "do what you have to". He is a customer. He should not be told this. No exceptions.

I did not say whether or not he should get a refund.

I'm merely commenting on the fact that he said, in his own words....

"I was told that would be done today."

Then he goes on to state how he did not even give them a full day to perform the task, before he asked for a refund.

That is unreasonable.

Just wanted to update this thread, after much begging I kept the server, so far it has been down 9 hours this month. Here is my hyperspin report for it:

Test : Web Server Test (Port 80)
Current Status : UP
Uptime : 95.813%
First Test : Jan 15 2005 02:40 AM
Last Test : Jan 24 2005 05:30 AM
Next Test : Jan 24 2005 05:30 AM
Total Monitored Duration : 9day 02hr 55min
Total Up Duration : 8day 17hr 45min
Total Down Duration : 09hr 10min

UP Jan 24 2005 05:30 AM Jan 24 2005 05:35 AM 05min
DOWN Jan 24 2005 05:15 AM Jan 24 2005 05:30 AM 15min cannot connect to port 80
UP Jan 23 2005 01:15 AM Jan 24 2005 05:15 AM 1day 04hr 00min
DOWN Jan 22 2005 10:05 PM Jan 23 2005 01:15 AM 03hr 10min cannot connect to port 80
UP Jan 22 2005 01:30 PM Jan 22 2005 10:05 PM 08hr 35min
DOWN Jan 22 2005 07:50 AM Jan 22 2005 01:30 PM 05hr 40min cannot connect to port 80
UP Jan 17 2005 10:25 AM Jan 22 2005 07:50 AM 4day 21hr 25min

And here is all the tech support responses for the reasons they were down:

The server is back up, I moved you to a new switch port since the other has been flaky. I apologize for the inconvience and I will forward this to the senior network admin for review.

Eric C.
Sagonet Support Staff

-------

This issue is fixed there was an issue with connectivity to the switch, I am contacting the network to look into this asap. The server is back up and will be looked into by our senior network admin.

Eric C.
Sagonet Support Staff

----

Sago Networks - Technical Support Center

Server is back up, I apologize I was racking a server right next to yours and the ethernet cable accidentally came out, I apologize for any inconvience.

----

Most of the downtime was caused by them not answering the phone/checking email. I'm dropping the server and running for the hills.

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with them. Its the first time I've heard negative feedback about SagoNet, but after hearing your story it might be worth avoiding them in the future.

Has anyone else got experience with this host or is this just a bout of really bad luck?

I didnt start charging pay customers until I got their servers running everything they wanted, and it was stable. Its much better than having to promise "it'll be up by tomorrow!" or "dont worry, well give you 2 hours for every hour its down."

WebHosting-Ads said:
Why should he not get a refund? If he is not happy, he should not be told "do what you have to". He is a customer. He should not be told this. No exceptions.

It is CLEARLY stated in their TOS that all fees paid to allmanaged.com are non-refundable, but I guess many people just click "I agree" without reading the document. I do that sometimes too, but not when this much money is at stake.

I didnt start charging pay customers until I got their servers running everything they wanted, and it was stable.....

What happens then when you set it up, get it ready, and it's stable, and they just say "Oh well nevermind. I found another host while you were doing that." Or "Oh nevermind then, I thought this was instant, even though your site says it's not.....I'll just assume what I want, and consider you taking too long, and now I want to cancel."

Now, you're left with wasted man hours, wasted parts (if you're building the server), and wasted costs at the DC, and you made $0.

Not every company is fortunate to own a datacenter, and can afford to do this, and for those who don't own their own DC, that scenerio is a huge wast of staff time, and money.

Well this is in the past but since it is being discussed 2 weeks after my setup sagonet caused me over 9 hours of downtime, needless to say I moved instantly.

Ross said:
I apologize I was racking a server right next to yours and the ethernet cable accidentally came out, I apologize for any inconvience.

Wow, thats really weak! I can easly see how this happened and it just goes to show you how simple communication could have quickly solved this problem!

Ross said:
I'm dropping the server and running for the hills.
Id do the same... Unless if they.... Na... Id leave

shame ive heard this story about 6 times now... 4 of which are now my clients because they needed a company who could get a server up for them and because i knew them i got them going!

I've used sagonet and never had any such problems. We've been having some minor network outagous for the last bit but things seem to have cleared up over the last week. The support has always been top notch for me, quick and helpfull replies, and they have always been very flexible.