AMD or INTEL for GAMESERVER ??

monovm

hello every body
nowadays i am thinking about a personal game server
but exactly i dont know intel or amd cpu is better and useful ?
i would be happy to know every bodies experience
thanks a lot :)

I think both processors makers are great, to select the right one, check the specifications of processors, as with AMD you can get up to 8 cores processors with Intel up to 12 cores, higher speed of processor is better.

yes i know both are great
but as i know amd processors are better for gaming pcs
i wanted to know its correct about servers or not ?

If you're going for a gaming machine, AMD does really well. I run an AMD 8150 (8 Core AMD 3.6Ghz) on my gaming computer and it just screams. Add in the Solid State drives, the cooling system etc, and it's a beast of a machine. While an i7 will outperform it, I haven't had any issues at all as of yet.

From a server level however, I'd still go with Intel. Intel Xeon's has the server world locked up. The Xeon is just built for servers and does an amazing job of running 24x7 without issues. A single i7 can compete pretty well with a reduced clock speed of an 8 core Xeon, but when you combine the ECC Memory and everything else that goes with it, a server that requires multi-threaded performance will do wonders.

I guess you need to evaluate if you're running a system that requires highly threaded performance or lightly threaded performance. This will depend on the software being used. For me, if I require high performance, there's limited that stops me from reaching for the Xeon.

We use some Xeon E5's with 32GB of memory for our eCommerce servers and while that's not the same as Gaming, the performace and demand can be similar at times. We love them.

A lot depends on the game. Some, Minecraft being the perfect example, cannot take advantage of multi-threading and therefore need the best single core performance. For these, an E3 Xeon is pretty much unbeatable at the price.

yes i know both are great
but as i know amd processors are better for gaming pcs
i wanted to know its correct about servers or not ?

I have experienced it that tha AMD processors are better for gaming experience......But due to its heating problem its always neglected...
If it comes for gaming I will surely go For AMD servers

Intel is a lot better for gaming. It has a lot better per core performance and games in most cases aren't well multi-threaded.

The latest AMDs are good for highly parallel environments, not games.

like i told i think amd is better fr game server
Especially when i take a look for server prices ;)
AMD server have really good prices

For Gaming server. I'd go with AMD.. it out perform Intel in Delivering Smooth Video quality. Temperature is not an issue now a days since there are numerous ways to configure a cooling system for your server.

HTH.
Andrew D. Larioza

<<Signatures must be added through user panel instead of manually to posts.>>

I would also go for AMD. They are known for making the best processors for gaming stuff. However, they should really work on solving that heating problem that users have been complaining about recently...

hello every body
nowadays i am thinking about a personal game server
but exactly i dont know intel or amd cpu is better and useful ?
i would be happy to know every bodies experience
thanks a lot :)

It really depends on the model, did you have 2 models you wanted us to compare?