An overview of Managed Vs Unmanaged Hosting

VL-Adam

We have been hearing from all over the internet: "What is the difference between unmanaged and managed hosting?" We have recently written an article comparing the two on our blog <URL snipped>, and I wanted to share it with you all - just in case any of you were confused on which one is the best one for you. Enjoy! :)

Many people are constantly looking for the need and opportunity to upgrade and evolve their systems and to increase and enhance the services they already have. There are various factors to look at when choosing between managed and unmanaged web hosting. When it comes to this situation, there are plenty of choices to choose from which can provide various solutions. When purchasing such options it is important to do thorough research and planning and here many factors can come into mind. These include cost, service benefits, providers, power supplies and the likes.

Resources

When it comes to managed and unmanaged hosting plans, unmanaged VPS hosting costs infinitely less than a managed VPS plan. This is solely because the person buying the plan, which will be either you or your company, is wholly accountable for the supervision of the services that are provided on the server along with maintaining all kinds of additional software. This brings down the cost element and so can be a beneficial fact. For websites that require their services to be online 24 hours a day, it becomes necessary and vital for companies to compile a team that is dedicated to the overseeing of the server the whole time the website is online. This can be called a downside and is seen as a disadvantage since it becomes a chore to constantly monitor services. This can also add extra cost to the whole package since most of the time these companies are not only understaffed but also have problems when it comes to finances. They don’t have extra cash just lying around and it becomes difficult to hire more people for such tasks. Moreover, the issue about qualified prospective employees also becomes a hassle and a burden.

When you are in such a setting that the server you require needs to be utilized for the purpose of a web server that has to stay online 24/7, getting a managed hosting plan will definitely be a good idea. In such situations, a managed hosting plan is not only a better option but will definitely pay off in the long run as well. Purchasing such a plan also means reviewing your needs and requirements and then checking to see whether your chosen plan fulfils those needs and requirements.

Managed services

The services you are looking to have managed should cover security issues and areas, balancing consignments and load that is put onto the server, constant monitoring and supervision, and updating the system. These are some of the few services that can be provided by a managed plan and it is apparent that the benefits are better than those of an unmanaged plan. In addition to this, the cost of this entire plan is also not very high and can be afforded by many. Reasonable and affordable rates can be found in the market for such plans mainly because of the fact that information centers categorize your organization into the mass of systems they systematize and manage simultaneously. Managed web hosting plans are the choice for almost everything and everyone except gaming and web servers that are needed for personal benefit and use.

I like the artilce, when our customers want to know the difference I will definately refer them to this post. Great post.

Thanks for sharing this. It is very helpful to all new in hosting that is looking to have a VPS server. It gives them a knowledge on to what to expect in a managed or unmanaged server that they have or will going to have.

Subscribing to managed hosting services is a worthy investment to online entrepreneurs and e-commerce minded sector. There are many benefits to using a managed web hosting. This is a greater status to utilise managed web hosting services as opposed to unmanaged hosting services. :) :)

Great article, but I have to respectfully disagree with the conclusion. There are countless scenarios where unmanaged returns a better ROI (other than gaming and personal use). :D

I agree with Steve as well.
Depends on the setup and the nature of hosting run in the business. Server management is only part of the business and sometime it doesn't need 24 hours eye on it.

Great article to share with others. Indeed,people will shilly-shally when making a decision between the two solutions. Each has valuable capacities itself.

Nice article on defining managed and unmanaged. The real question is how much "management" does one provide for its managed services?

Great article, but I have to respectfully disagree with the conclusion. There are countless scenarios where unmanaged returns a better ROI (other than gaming and personal use). :D

Great article, but I have to agree with Steve, there are a ton of scenario's. Depending on your target market and the amount of resources you have available to you will all depend on what you are going to need.

If you are savvy, then you are not going for a managed solution. If you are someone who doesn't want to deal with the hardware just the final product, then you might farm out everything from design to server management.

Managed will be good if you don't have any idea of how to configure and secure your Virtual Machine and on the other hand if you are proficient with configuring and securing your Virtual Machine unmanaged would be your choice.

However I would prefer a Managed Virtual Machine so that you don't need to put your self in any kind of troubles and hazels.