AngelNetworkz

Francisco

Well,

If you know Angelnetworkz, they haven't paid a $70,000 bill to Managed.com (their upstream provider), and Managed.com pulled the plug on all the servers.

This happened since yesterday at 1PM, and many (if not all) of their clients are being affected, including my Backup server...

http://angelnetworkz.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=986
http://angelnetworkz.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=912&st=0&#entry11309

And more threads on their forums, it seems like there are 140 people logged into the forums to see any updates, however I don't expect Donna to come back to be sincere :lol:

Don't like seeing this happen to a company, that is a pretty big bill they have on their hands.

How do you know why it was closed? Did someone from managed post it?
Haven't checked those links, have a few things going on here and it's taking me about 10 minutes just to write this reply :lol:

John Diver said:
Don't like seeing this happen to a company, that is a pretty big bill they have on their hands.

How do you know why it was closed? Did someone from managed post it?
Haven't checked those links, have a few things going on here and it's taking me about 10 minutes just to write this reply :lol:

heh.

I don't know Donna Mercer has been closing every thread. I don't know how this works but Managed contract with AN should give a timeframe for it. If they don't pay they can handle the data to the original Customers.

Copy/Paste Job:

I just heard back from managed.com. I have also called the San Francisco Chronicle and they are very interested in covering the story. Managed.com might not be at fault, but there are laws to protect individuals and businesses. If a property manager doesn't pay their electric bill it doesn't mean the power company has the right to shut off every tenants electricity. The property manager might be at fault, but the tenants cannot be punished. We are the tenants in this situation. Here's the email I just received from Managed.com:

-----------------------------
This is a serious issue between Managed.com/Angel Networkz. Unforutnately the server will not be turned back online until this issue is resolved. Due to our privacy agreement with the customer, only AN has the authority to give reasons to such issues to their customers.

We are sincerely apologetic that you have been caught in the middle of this situation. However, putting your server online without the consent, resolution and cooperation of AN puts our company at a potential lawsuit. We cannot put ourselves in that position. We are currently trying to resolve this by finding a median. Once again, we are sincerely sorry for your involvement in this issue.

Best Regards,
Managed.com

I'm currently watching this situation with interest to see how it pans out, I did the same when the Feature Price fiasco came about.

Not been a customer of either, but it does sure give the hosting business a bad name.

Interesting suddenly the threads I have been watching have been removed, along with the whole sub forum.

You have to be registered on the AN forusm to view the threads, was going to give them a read but don't want to register.

So has no official info been given to customers Francisco?

I want to check into the legality of a reseller contract that states, should the reseller become uncontactable for (a set date - something like 30), or go more than (set date) into arrears - the provider shall have leave to contact the customers of said reseller for the express purpose of continuing their sites. Or something like that.

Something that would definitely give the resellers protections against the provider swooping their customers out from under them, but would give the providers some allowance to contact the resellers' customers in extreme situations like this. AN's customers are caught in a really nasty position: they could have prepaid for a quarter, six months, or even a year of hosting - and now what do they do? They won't even be able to retrieve their data (and you know, statistically, that not all of them kept backups).

John Diver said:
You have to be registered on the AN forusm to view the threads, was going to give them a read but don't want to register.

Well that wasn't the case for 2 hours, I was viewing them as a guest.

John Diver said:

No Updates on their part, however they told me to email rachel just know :-/

I think we can now assume this is stalling tactics by Angel Networkz. There are reports buzzing around that they are about to have servers pulled at another DC.

I cannot believe how customers over at WHT can think that suing managed.com is going to help them when their contract is with Angel Networkz.

It must be aggravating as all heck, finding yourself in a situation like that. Where do you go? Who do you talk to? If the sites are suspended, then there's the likelihood that you've just lost all your site content. Do you just sit and wait patiently and hope that you'll be able to retrieve the content in a week or two? Do you just walk away and write off your site development? What happened to those people who prepaid for a year - even for a quarter? Who's accountable for that lost revenue?

People - the average users - aren't incredibly likely to keep backups...not daily ones, at any rate. They don't know what's going on, or what happened to their sites, or how to get their data back...and in fact are being told (very politely) "Sorry, but we can't let you retrieve your content because your provider didn't pay their bill."

This would really severely honk me off. They're grabbing at lawsuit only because it seems like the only way to get things put right. Never mind that they're using the wrong tool for the job - they're not thinking rationally, they're reacting.

Lesli said:
It must be aggravating as all heck, finding yourself in a situation like that. Where do you go? Who do you talk to? If the sites are suspended, then there's the likelihood that you've just lost all your site content. Do you just sit and wait patiently and hope that you'll be able to retrieve the content in a week or two? Do you just walk away and write off your site development? What happened to those people who prepaid for a year - even for a quarter? Who's accountable for that lost revenue?

People - the average users - aren't incredibly likely to keep backups...not daily ones, at any rate. They don't know what's going on, or what happened to their sites, or how to get their data back...and in fact are being told (very politely) "Sorry, but we can't let you retrieve your content because your provider didn't pay their bill."

This would really severely honk me off. They're grabbing at lawsuit only because it seems like the only way to get things put right. Never mind that they're using the wrong tool for the job - they're not thinking rationally, they're reacting.

Interesting post Lesli and I must admire it. However, the server that is down on ANz is actually a backup server I have for each Sunday at 11PM to upload backups. And there is Navigatoris.org (Supposed backup forums) hosted there, So basically if I loose the data, I don't care about the backups, I care about Navigatoris.org forums, since I will loose everything since December 2003, and I would have to start from the scratch. That is a pain in the neck.

It's turning into a hornet's nest over at WHT over this issue at the moment, not a single cool head in the place. Mistakes are going to me made if people do not take a step back and think clearly.

Yes, you are correct rwaforums. Even though I am not a customer, I've been monitoring the threads... I just feel bad for all of you guys that are stuck in the middle :(

Alex said:
Yes, you are correct rwaforums. Even though I am not a customer, I've been monitoring the threads... I just feel bad for all of you guys that are stuck in the middle :(

The only trouble with is, they are blaming the wrong company in this situation.

managed.com have done what they are entitled to do, pull the plug for non payment and trying to explain to people who don't have a "business brain" that doing the moral and good thing is not always the best the way especially where money is concerned.

I am not a customer of theirs but it is like hitting your head against a brick wall when trying to explain the bigger picture. This is when you get hurled with insults and accused of being in league with the companies involved and in one case being accused of being an employee when I refuse to condemn them without a reason.

To be honest' i don't think I could keep my cool after what they are asking.

They want customers to pay one month of their server to get their data back...if not, the server will be assumed cancelled and the data lost.

This isn't acceptable and I really wouldn't be happy. Even customers that paid in advance have lost the months they paid for and still have to pay the extra month to get their or their customer's data.

I really hope AN gets what's coming to them...I think it's obvious they had very bad management in regards to their accounts, money has gone somewhere and it's the customers that are paying for everything.

John

But have managed.com actually come out and said that they would charge any customers who want to transfer just so they can retrieve their data?

Surely managed.com would be aware that some customers may only want to transfer so that they can retrieve their data so they can go to another provider? And expect emails from customers expressing this then possibly waive the fee as they are only going to use the server for a couple of days.

I'm not saying that managed.com should offer this as it would cost them money as there would be i'm sure most of Angel Networkz customers jumping ship.

Sure I'd be angry in that situation if my data were temporary lost, but I wouldn't hang around as some seem to be doing in the hope they would get their data back, I'd be hunting for another provider the instant I discovered the server had been un-plugged.

Then at least you maybe able to retain most of your customers instead of waiting for 4 days and loosing them all.