Anyone know what happened with Hostgator?

chatterbox

I know that every site that I know is hosted with HostGator was down for at least an hour earlier today. I was kind of panicking for a few minutes as apparently my three favorite sites are all hosted there seeing as I couldn't get to any of them. I'm assuming there was some sort of server crash or major hardware failure?

Update on May 13, 2009: We noticed approximately 10 minutes of downtime for a few of our dedicated server customers who have dedicated servers in the H1 and H2 datacenters located in Houston. Sites were unavailable for approximately 10 minutes, starting at 10:20 AM CT. This second outage did not affect shared or reseller customers whatsoever. We are awaiting further details from The Planet about the cause of this outage. From what we know so far, the issues in Houston outage were on the CAR (customer access router) level and not related to an IP block or yesterday's issues.
http://forums.hostgator.com/may-12-2009-network-outage-details-t49768.html

Its seem lately that hostgator is having a lot of issues.

Only lately? Hostgator has never been that great of a host to begin with, although they do seem to be getting even worse recently. That said, I can still think of a number of worse hosts, many of which charge more than HostGator does.

I can't say "I expected more from them". They've got a ton of customers, but I haven't heard much good from them lately.

Only lately? Hostgator has never been that great of a host to begin with, although they do seem to be getting even worse recently. That said, I can still think of a number of worse hosts, many of which charge more than HostGator does.

I have met almost good feedbacks about them

Every host has outages eventually, but two unrelated outages in the last two days is very uncommon.

Every host has outages eventually, but two unrelated outages in the last two days is very uncommon.

Exactly!

Almost every web host has at least occasional outages, but this stuff with Host Gator is in another class. Accidents happen of course, but good web hosts are supposed to take care,and make sure that downtime is as infrequent of a problem as possible, at least if the host cares about keeping customers. Hosts such as Host Gator don't really care how long existing customers stay though, since there is always new customers to replace the old.

do you guys think that HostGator is a bit oversell their hosting products?

They offer unlimited disk space and bandwidth and this could be the main reason they are down these days. Any thought?

I personally do not believe in so-called unlimited disk space and bandwidth

A hosting company Is alway's going to have black out's
Its just about picking yourself up and moving forward.
Even Google had a Black-out and their not even a Host. :p

I have one site at Hostgator and have found they have lagged at certain times over the past few days. I am aware they are having a few problems but I guess they will sort them out, they always do.

You should have a hate thread going against the planet not Host Gator. It was The Planets routers and network that has been being sluggished. Like I always say, a reseller is only as strong as its provider. :) The solution, become a provider.

do you guys think that HostGator is a bit oversell their hosting products?

They offer unlimited disk space and bandwidth and this could be the main reason they are down these days. Any thought?

I personally do not believe in so-called unlimited disk space and bandwidth

Of course Hostgator oversells, but find me a host within the same price range which doesn't. That said, I despise overselling in general, and I think it's best to be as honest and straight-forward with customers as possible.

Overselling will kill any business. Hostgator decided to go with unlimited packages and their business could be suffering becuase of it. Anyways, a true host will not oversell. Hostgator is ruining their rep by offering unlimited type packages.

Overselling will kill any business. Hostgator decided to go with unlimited packages and their business could be suffering becuase of it. Anyways, a true host will not oversell. Hostgator is ruining their rep by offering unlimited type packages.

Trust me, I dislike overselling as much as you do, but it sadly doesn't look to be going away anytime soon. For new web hosting customers who don't yet know better, they see something that says "unlimited space and bandwidth" and they want to sign up for it. Sadly, as long as these new customers keep buying into these overselling campaigns, companies are going to keep advertising it :(