Anyone using Mac OS X Server?

onthecatwalks

Is anyone else on here using Mac OS X Server for shared hosting? We've been using it since 2001 and have been pretty much doing all the work for customers (creating db's, mail accounts, ect.). Its not bad while we are at the size we're at, but I would like to find a way for us to expand our customer base without having to do all the work for customers. Has anyone found a user based control panel such a cpanel that works with OS X well? We defiantly want to stay with OS X as most of the "mac" hosts have secretly switched to linux running on Mac hardware.

Thanks.

Ya, it seems there was going to be a version years ago and it never happened. The only control panels that seem to be out there are for admin's only and not users.

I've never heard of a mac server control panel, and nether have my technicians it would appear, even though we are somewhat "mac'ist" :p ... I couldn't imagine there being much involved from a developer point of view to create an application to simply provide an API or interface like cPanel to utilise in a web based script or otherwise for your users.

Thus potentially create your own with the aid of a development team as I am doubtful that you will something off the shelf for a server OS that isn't really used for the purposes of webhosting.

Last edited:
Ya, it seems there was going to be a version years ago and it never happened. The only control panels that seem to be out there are for admin's only and not users.

Yes, So i doubt anyone here will be running on a Mac OS. the most OS people are using would be linux, Which is what i run, and CentOs. Those are the 2 most common ones running control panels.

I've never heard of a mac server control panel, and nether have my technicians it would appear, even though we are somewhat "mac'ist" ... I couldn't imagine there being much involved from a developer point of view to create an application to simply provide an API or interface like cPanel to utilise in a web based script or otherwise for your users.

Thus potentially create your own with the aid of a development team as I am doubtful that you will something off the shelf for a server OS that isn't really used for the purposes of webhosting.
ya, it will probably come down to that. Don't know why Cpanel bailed on their product, but I guess custom will be the way. :thumbdown

I don't and never will, worst servers you could possibly buy.
Such a constructive comment. Thanks for the insight and contribution. :uhh:

Such a constructive comment. Thanks for the insight and contribution.

It is, sorry if I am offending your business (looked at your signature) but this is just my personal comment and not the one of Hosterbox, I personally as a representative and server administrator don't like it (I gave it a try) its really buggy and very very easy to infiltrate when I tried there server I felt like safety was compromised. But again this is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt if you will.

I have operated a Mac OS X Server on a Mac Pro for file-serving and an intranet (?i think?) and it operated well.

I wasn't overly concerned about the security (11 year-olds hacking, perhaps...), but I would never put up to the internet - Linux all the way.

Do we know what MobileMe uses? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123