Are Clients Loyal to cPanel?

veoloo

I'm not sure if this is in the right section. I'd appreciate that, if it is not, it would be moved :)

Would you say that your clients are loyal to cPanel? Have you lost or gained sales because you said you use cPanel? Why do so many clients love cPanel?

I can't answer, simply because we don't use cPanel.

cPanel is a very easy to use control panel and has a very user friendly interface. Managing hosting account becomes really easy if you use cPanel. Its compatible with both Windows and Linux OS. So all these features makes cPanel the best control panel and clients love to use cPanel to manage their Hosting accounts.

Thanks for your help. Do you think that if a script were better than cPanel that clients would actually switch from cPanel to the other control panel? I like cPanel, but it truly does have its limitations, especially with things such as failover support.

When you read that list of control panel products, and ask for feedback, mostly you just get people leap on page and vote for the one they currently use. Actually, I find them all easy and simple to manage. However, one fact needs to be said, non of them are magic tools and non of them are intrinsically very simple to understand, but if you give some time to learn all of them, then you can produce fine results flawlessly.

Mostly, people choose or recommend cPanel because of its simple user interface, but it doesn't sounds that other control panels aren't user friendly. People usually forget to recognize that a user friendly control panel first requires a friendly user.

I haven't seen a case where customer switched from cPanel, but one thing I can surely say, that every control panel has its own limitations so how could it be possible that cPanel is an exceptional case.

I think, as a web host our job is to understand customers actual needs, and understand what each of them want to use. We can suggest them the right solution, but it all depends on their personal choice.

Would you say that your clients are loyal to cPanel? Have you lost or gained sales because you said you use cPanel?

I've actually found that most of them expect it and will storm away if you don't offer it. They've gone so far as to critique what services are available inside of cPanel, such as growing upset if we don't use their choice of either Softaculous and Fantastico, RVSkin, etc. (we resolved to just offer it all since we're financially stable to do so).

Why do so many clients love cPanel?

Because humans don't like to think.

Sounds generic, but it's true: It's why newspapers are going out of business. People want to just watch TV news. People don't want to read words, that's just exhausting. They want to watch pretty graphics and video to know what's going on in the world, because it's less work for them. Same goes with hosting: cPanel lets them do everything they would normally have to do from a command line, in a GUI. As a sysadmin, I prefer CLI, but others prefer GUI because you don't have to know it to use it. The GUI has everything laid out totally obvious.

As for it's competition with DirectAdmin, Plesk, Helm, etc... it's just because cPanel was one of the original ones, and the rest are spinoffs. People got used to cPanel and it's features and now they expect it to be an industry standard wherever they go.

The reason that people like cPanel, is that they can backup their existing hosting and move it to another host (with cPanel) very easily.

If you don't support cPanel, then you would not be able to move away from you if your hosted turned out to be not so great.

This in and of itself will deter the greater majority of "serious" resellers and hosters.

We find most clients dont care and never use the control panel for anything, but the few that express a preference are equally spread across helm, dotnetpanel, cpanel, plesk and hsphere - so we offer them all :)

cPanel has been around for a while now so people are used to it and more familiar with it. It's easier to get cPanel hosting and immediately get your site up and running than to buy a hosting account with a different cp and have to learn everything about it.

Well, come clients do seem to appreciate other control panels than cpanel.

We have chosen to use plesk instead and i guess some clients choose to pass on our services due to that, but i think that a lot of people choose us because of that.

I guess it all depends on what the clients are used to and how willing they are to adapt to a new system.

We've been using cPanel as our primary solution for the past 12 years now and more than 95% of our client base use it. We have many people moving from Plesk to cPanel, but very few people that have moved to a dedicated server with us have requested to move from cPanel to Plesk. Some people will just refuse to be on anything but cPanel - much like some people only want Plesk.

People like their options when it comes to VPS or Dedicated servers, but if they're doing shared hosting with us, they're using cPanel as that's what our staff are trained to support.

The majority of our clients that require a control panel will choose cPanel eventhough we offer other control panels as well. It's one of the most prevalent presales questions we get "do you offer cPanel?"

cPanel has been around a long time, works great and is updated frequently. Since it's so widely used, clients are used to it's interface and look for it when considering a host. So, it's just the obvious choice of control panels if you are running a hosting business.

There are other control panels of course (i.e. DirectAdmin), but they simply do not compare.

Many of our users are new to managing their own websites. Because cPanel is easy and very user-friendly, clients enjoy using it. Another plus is that it is compatible with both Windows and Linux OS. It has also been around for a long time and we have found that people tend to stick with what they know, especially if it has always been a positive experience.

Last edited:
Clients are loyal to what they like, and cPanel seems to be liked. Offer something different that is 100 times better, then your clients will like it also.

There're several popular hosting control panel such as cpanel, vdeck, H-Sphere etc, Depends what's the platform you're working on, if you're running windows then cpanel is not suitable.

Have you tried Enkompass? That's the cPanel version for Windows servers.

Have you been tested Enkmopass? Let me know your experience with it. Actually, I know about that control panel, but personally I didn't used it. Last time when I had discussed its features with our support department; someone commented that it is not that much good as compare to Plesk or other Windows control panel.

When I got my very very first hosting account a long time ago, that company was using Plesk and I remember hating it with a passion. Everything was weird to me, maybe because I was new to it, but still. Later I was introduced to cPanel. It took some getting used to at first, but after that it felt natural. Things just make sense the way they are in cPanel. Personally I wouldn't want to use anything else, so I'd recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

A lot of Dutch hosts use DA or Plesk, purely because those panels are cheaper. I consider cPanel the industry standard and by offering that to my clients I know I'm investing in a structurally sound piece of software that my clients can rely on.

Have you been tested Enkmopass? Let me know your experience with it. Actually, I know about that control panel, but personally I didn't used it. Last time when I had discussed its features with our support department; someone commented that it is not that much good as compare to Plesk or other Windows control panel.

I guess it depends on how long ago your support department was testing on it. The windows version is very stable and used by many of our customers that have windows servers rather than linux. No major complaints that we've heard from them.