Are the Domain Registrars going to kill shared hosting....?

Hmm... that's real strange... bug in vB perhaps... it keeps putting an HTML < br > tag in near the end of the link... oh well... try this instead.... http://***********/t3hz

It's starting to look like the only people who should be getting into the hosting business are the very rich or the people who can afford to do it without a profit for a long time.

Bad news for us entrepreneurs with low startup funds :)

I know how tough the hosting biz is and therefore I'm not trying to break into it just yet. Right now I just host a couple of sites for my web design clients and I'll continue to just host those clients until I'm a bit more established in that business. I can then venture out to the murky waters of hosting...

I still get
Page Not Found
The page you have requested can not be found.

Please use the Search News box to find what you are looking for.

If you have any questions, please contact the Netcraft Webmaster

:(

Humm, I get page not found as well but if this initial post was dealing with domain registrars that also offer hosting then I will go ahead and make comment on it.
I believe "registrars" should stick to "registering domains" and for hosting a client is better off going with a hosting company.
Ive found several registrars that offer hosting as well (very CHEAP) but then when you read the fine print many charge for little extras that are considered basic features for a hosting account. There have also been reports of lack of support too.

There is still room for niche players- the hosting market is still growing. But pretty soon it will be differentiate or die!

If you can work out where the market is going and bring a product out ready you might be ok. However for traditional webhosting things are getting tight

Rus

I don't see any serious Hosting competition with GoDaddy?

Their hosting packages are actually pretty expensive once you compare price to features. No mention of what Control Panel is provided either.

Right now they have their "Web presence" as a Registrar going for them and are coasting on that. Won't be long I figure, before people start posting about their experiences with GoDaddy Hosting. My experienced opinion is it will start out at 50/50, but probably start to lean towards bad, once people gain experience with the service.

Much like what happened to NetSol when the Domain name Registration became de-regulated and opened up. The Netcraft article mentioned above even states, "NSI remains the largest domain registrar" even though they still charge $35.00 yr. for Domain registrations. Lots of stories on NSI, about their bad service and under-handed methods and even at 3 or 4 times the price of most other Registrars, still number one. And still lots of business for lots of other Registrars.

I'm not saying any Registrar that gets into the Hosting business will be as bad, as NSI is as Registrar, only that there are so many different Market segments available that even today's startup Hosting companies have a good shot at being profitable.

Website Rob said:
I don't see any serious Hosting competition with GoDaddy?

Their hosting packages are actually pretty expensive once you compare price to features. No mention of what Control Panel is provided either.

Right now they have their "Web presence" as a Registrar going for them and are coasting on that. Won't be long I figure, before people start posting about their experiences with GoDaddy Hosting.

Go Daddy's shared hosting business totalled 75,819 accounts as of mid-July

They are already deep into the hosting business. I would consider 75K+ accounts to be reasonable competition.
There have been many comments posted on various boards already about their hosting, most negative.

Well I would assume that if the numbers are BiG which they are then definitely there is competition but I guess it wouldn't really matter as long as you know who your audience is :)

Correct URL:

EDIT: Weird - impossible to insert the correct URL... Just search the site for "Domain Registrars Eye Shared Hosting for Expansion" titles story.

I think it is like anything else.. the ones with the money and the backing are always going after the smaller companies.

However, I don't forsee them being able to take the entire market. Their support can not compete with the companies that do hosting as their main and only business.

Customers will flock to them to get the low prices and leave when the support or services arent there. A flux in the market, yes,,, but they will not keep all the customers they get, so I am not too worried about it.

Tim L

We have found that most of our customers come from large providers because of the support. Larger companies have a hard time trying to keep ontop of their customer's demands where as a smaller one can give them personalized service. I don't think the bigger name providers will be able to take over the market.

just my 2 cents..

jason

But if you take a look at what GoDaddy's offering for 3.95 per month you'll see it's not much.

25 megs of disk space. 1 email account. 1 gig of transfer.

They don't even offer statistics reports!

They will get some business but they do not offer a lot of features and are not really going to take business from someone who is hosting for a reason. We are also taking some of their business by reselling domains.

The reason we sell domains is some customers do not need to leave our site and see their hosting offer.

But, the business is getting crouded

You cant say that Domain Registrar are trying to kill... the reason is because of them that a web hosting company gets to host a web site of client. The client without registering a Domain cannot have the authority to host their website.

Best Regards,