Arrrgghhhh

CServer Hosting

I've posted a very competetive offer, in order to fill up one of my current machines, and a 12-year old (approx.) kid beats my offer on his cable network. Not only that, but he says he hosts on a dual Pentium4 3.06ghz server. He also says hes been around for 5 years. I whois'ed his domain,a nd he bought it last month from godaddy. ARRRGHHHH. I lost a potential sale to an un-licensced, uncertified nincompoop who calls himself the CEO of a two-cent hosting POS. RAH.
Anybody else have this happen?

All I can tell you is to not compete with others based on price. Compete with them based on service you provide. Price is secondary. If you have good service - reasonable people who understand what it takes to run a business will pay the price.

Best,

Artashes is right. Chances are that this potential client will suffer an unhappy experience and will again find themeselves looking for another host. Many learn the hard way, and that may just be the case with this one. I wouldn't consider this too much of a loss. As I have said before, I would prefer not to host customers who don't appreciate quality service for a reasonable price.

I'm with Artashes on this as well.. try not to sweat it and don't play the price game. There is ALWAYS someone willing to sacrifice quality of service to undercut you and grab some quick cash. Don't play their game.. prove to your customers that its not about the price, its about providing them the highest quality of service you can.

Hang in there! 12-year-olds have to grow up someday ;).

-Jonathan

I'm a 14 year old partnered with a 25-year old with a business licence. I didnt start offering hosting until I was ready to provide good support. I also didnt start until I had enough money to buy from a good datacenter.
They often post before me, and get the sale.

It really is a shame that anyone with a Paypal account and a reseller account, and enough money to buy a template can be a "web host". There is a large difference between an incorporated business that offers features like phone support, and good customer care, as opposed to some kid who hops on aim after he is done with his homework. ;)

Well,managing the nitty gritties of a Hosting Company makes it compulsory to have a highly qualified and competitive tech team for supporting the clients. One error could mean a server compromise or data loss and all the other night mares of faulty tech support. Hence I reckon all the small hosting firms wind up business and shut shop due to an incompetent tech support.

Yes, these days (and definitely in my opinion) a company is held together by its support system. Live Chat is good, but only if there is actually someone there live to offer support. Also employees who know nothing about anything are often more of a burden than anything else. When you pick your support personel, it is important that you make sure you know who and why you are choosing these specific people as your support staff has a huge influence on how your business' public face will be seen.
Unfortunate to hear about another kiddie host and even more unfortunate to know that the customer is almost certainly going to be let down.
~Equinox

price game hurt badly ;)
advertising + some money back guaranteed would allow them to tryout your service while proving them you are their choice

The only difference is that your company is LEGAL and theirs is not. You need to (like others said) base your hosting off how well you provide support and service. We all know that 12 year old kid, that is most likely make a few extra dollars here and there will shut down in a few months. Thats just the way web hosting is, one second there is a kid with the same old template monster design, and the next minute he tries to "sell" his "business" or just gets grounded from the computer.

Someday people will notice this stuff.

- Eddy

I just viewed this thread for the first time ... and could not help think how ironic (is that the word???) this thread is ... sort of. An admitted 14 yr old complaining he just got beat out by a 12 yr old (approx) competitor ???

Like Betahost noted ... is this possible? Is it even legal???

Aren't there legal issues that MUST be met by web hosts & their customers? Like ... if I sign up for a hosting account with a web host ... we enter into a legally binding agreement. But if the web host turns out to be someone who is too young to enter into a legally binding ... what legal recourse do I have if the kid decides to screw me over? Legal agreements must be entered into with companies like PayPal & 2CheckOut etc .... how can someone under the legal age enter into these agreements and be bound by them?

I know different countries have different rules ... but GEEZ ... this all just seems too insane to me.

JMHO
Peter

pmhoran said:
But if the web host turns out to be someone who is too young to enter into a legally binding ... what legal recourse do I have if the kid decides to screw me over?
You sue the parents ;)

i agree...the hosting market is booming with people wanting to make their own hosting business and look who is apart of that. little 12 13 14 etc year olds. How would they even have time to fully devote themselves to their company. it seems crazy although i also know that their are intelligent young teenagers out there that are brighter than someone the age of 30 or even 40. as for you cserver hosting i can understand why your mad but that kid was offering something someone wanted. you were beat...it happens :rolleyes: