Bad Ads

new2webhosting

The bit of controversy over the GoDaddy Superbowl commercial makes me wonder: How many other bad ads have there been of this magnitude that drove business away from a highly famous company?

Here's an old posting that sheds some light - http://www.marketingcharts.com/topics/behavioral-marketing/distateful-ads-hurt-brand-appeal-12414/

There's any number of advertisements over the years that have sparked controversy, but in the marketing game, controversy creates brand awareness, and that's essentially what the marketing company was paid for.

Here's some advertising gone wrong - http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/12-offensive-advertisements/

For the most part, advertisers have stayed away from religion, but race, culture, and stereotypes are things that many advertisement companies dabble with - some work, some don't, but any time you cause an uproar, that's a bad thing.

The thing with advertising is that if people are talking about it and plastering it on forums then its doing its job (bad or good) the brand is being talked about and if its bad and 3 people leave them then 5 people will use them as they heard about them through the ad discussions.

I actually liked the GoDaddy ads. Both of them. They have always pursued controversial ads that get people talking. The exposure they received is extraordinary and probably outweigh the number of people they lost as clients.

I don't know a single person who found it offensive. Gross - maybe a couple, but offensive - that's too big of a word for seeing two people make out. As a matter of fact, if Will Ferrell does it - it is funny, when someone else does it - the same group of people take offense. I don't understand that.

If people are talking about it then it has done its job. What offends one person will not offend another. I don't mind the Go Daddy ads personally. I didn't see the Superbowl (being in the UK it was far too late for me) so I have just had a look at all the superbowl spots and trailers online

I actually liked the GoDaddy ads. Both of them. They have always pursued controversial ads that get people talking. The exposure they received is extraordinary and probably outweigh the number of people they lost as clients.

I don't know a single person who found it offensive. Gross - maybe a couple, but offensive - that's too big of a word for seeing two people make out. As a matter of fact, if Will Ferrell does it - it is funny, when someone else does it - the same group of people take offense. I don't understand that.

I guess you can mark me up as the one person who found their ads offensive and gross, and I consider myself to be fairly open minded - especially about marketing and advertising. I used to have all of my domains with GoDaddy, but only a few remain and those will be transferred this year.

What exactly was "offensive." (as opposed to "gross").

I wonder that too. Is it because there is a lady who by many (horrid) standards should not be with "that guy" or is it because you hate the idea of a public display of affection? That is the part I don't get, personally I hate PDA's myself. I seldom even acknowledge my husband all cuddly in public, we just do not do that. If it is not that then to me it boils down to personal preference and people who are just too uptight over it, those who are also the type that label people and see the whole "she is out of his league" deal, which also, I despise.

P.S. Sorry but I am very honest. :)

Personally, I don't have any issues with GoDaddy's Superbowl ad. Like someone else pointed out in another thread on the topic, if that supermodel was making out with Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt, this controversy wouldn't even exist. However, that's not the case so here we stand. Do you guys think that GoDaddy knew their commercial would become so controversial, or that so many people would take offense to it? Do you think that, overall, the commercial was a success from a financial perspective? Do you think the commercial was a smart move on their part, or no?

For me personally, I think it was a great move for them - as a result, we're getting more business :) Does it get people talking about them, sure it does, but from what I've been exposed to, it's not in a positive light.

Controversy gets people talking - so does sex - Since they're not a public company, you're not going to see discussions of Q1 Reports - but that would tell you the real story if you could see it!

I guess you can mark me up as the one person who found their ads offensive and gross, and I consider myself to be fairly open minded - especially about marketing and advertising. I used to have all of my domains with GoDaddy, but only a few remain and those will be transferred this year.

You definitely have the right to feel that way. The ad actually doesn't change the fact that I am also moving more of my domains away from them to competing services. I am just tired of being pitched various services every time I just want to renew a domain name.

I liked the Godaddy ads too. I didn't find it offensive. I don't like Godaddy's services but I love their ads.

I watch that kissing ad and wish I was the guy that was kissing her. :D

Chad

I have not seen any recent godaddy ads but I do remember some sexist ads several years back. Which was one of a few reasons why I left. I stopped using them back when I got hostgator which was 2007 and those ads were really sexist and very rude toward women. I took offense to them.