Bandwidth

If I load a 2KB webpage with no graphics, I use 2KB bandwidth. It is the number of bytes that are transfered between the client and server. It is usually sold monthly and measured in gigabytes.

longer explanation

-- HW

Bandwidth and transfer are two different things. Bandwidth is how much data you can transfer in a period of time. For instance, a 10BaseT ethernet connection has a bandwidth of 10Mbps (megabits/s), which is about 1.25MB/s (megabytes/s).

If someone is offering you a certain amount of transfer each month, they're telling you how much data they'll allow you to transfer in a month. Many times, the terms bandwidth and transfer are confused, but you can tell what they are talking about by the context in which the terms are used.

And don't get excited when you see "1000 mb bandwidth for only $5" then see "1 gb bandwidth for only $5" You must note that 1024kb = 1mb, 1024mb = 1gb, 1024gb = 1tb. And so on, I especialy dislike it when someone says they are giving away 1000mb of space and 10,000 of bandwidth, now is that 1gb and 10gb or less?

As PTNhosting pointed out, if a host offer 10000MB then you get about 9.7GB of bandwidth. Now if the host offers 10GB that's 10240MB. clear enough =]

If they offer you 10000MB you are getting 240mb less then if they were to offer you 10GB. However, most people see the 10,000MB and think its the same as the 10GB. But giving away 10,000MB instead of 10GB is cheating your customers.

The worst part is to Say 10GB and only offer 10000MB.

That is cheating, if you say it 10000MB you are not cheating nobody.

That is my point of vew