Bandwith differences?

Link

Why is it that some hosting companies can offer you 400GB/ Month for a lower price than other hosting companies who may only offer you 100GB/month? Is bandwith really that expensive? I mean it's the second most important part of running a website.

Different companies offer different specs because of many reasons, not the least of which is purchasing power. A larger hosting company may be able to receive servers at a discount. Also, some companies oversell resources, providing attractive plans, which they hope that you won't use all of your disk space and bandwidth.

Finally, I'd have to disagree with your blunt statement of "second most important thing". What is the most important? Some people care about uptime, customer support, etc.

Different companies offer different specs because of many reasons, not the least of which is purchasing power. A larger hosting company may be able to receive servers at a discount. Also, some companies oversell resources, providing attractive plans, which they hope that you won't use all of your disk space and bandwidth.
This answers his question, but I'll add to it. You get a bandwidth that you most likely will never need and the support that you will need is never there when you do need it, especially when your site is down due to poorly managed overselling. No one says that you have to pay an arm and a leg to get what you need, but why pay less for something that you do need and can't use it!

Finally, I'd have to disagree with your blunt statement of "second most important thing". What is the most important? Some people care about uptime, customer support, etc.
Link did say
"the second most important part of running a website".

I was not saying that it was the most important thing for EVERYONE. I think it is the second most important thing following space. You need space to make a website, then you would need the bandwith so that users can see your website. In my opinion the third most important thing would be uptime, obviously those three things are really close in importance but that is the order I would put them in.

You know guys, for me it's important that my hosting will be not only reliable, with not high prices, uptime 99.9% (especially in the late evening hours), good support 24/7, but not to oversell as well (or at least not much) because then it causes a lot of issues later.

Hello,

the allocation of bandwidth really depends on the hosting company that how much they have to offer to their clients depending on the server and also on the datacenter. The datacenter should allocate ample bandwidth to the server that the hosting company offers so that they can offer you better bandwidth..

Thank you.

Regards,

TorrentHost said:
Different Datacenter have different prices for bandwidth =D... You just have to find the right datacenter...
That's really interesting, i mean I've never given a thought to looking for a datacenter, but not for a hosting company. Maybe, it makes sense, after all.
But one more thing I'd like to ask is who has seriously suffered because of overselling? People are afraid of this thing, but if properly done, it's just for everybody's benefit.

Bandwidth definitely has gotten ridiculous lately. I used to think we offered a lot of bandwidth, but we aren't even close to some of the offers out there now. Support and uptime can be issues with hosts overselling. That's the main reason we've backed off on playing the super resources game. We'd rather have great support and uptime than up the resources just to get new people that think they need that much stuff (and usually don't).

One thing to keep in mind is that bandwidth quality can vary from host to host. Not all IP transit providers (the Internet backbone companies hosts buy bandwidth from) are equal. Some hosts may use lower quality IP transit providers which will decrease their bandwidth costs, allowing them to offer you more bandwidth, but the bandwidth performance will not be as good. That could result in higher latency (slower ping times), packet loss, more frequent downtimes, etc., which will all have a negative effect on the performance of your site. Also, some hosts may only have one transit provider, which may decrease their costs but it also decreases reliability because if that one connection goes down, everything goes down. Good bandwidth isn't inexpensive. Much of the reason you see big bandwidth offers from hosts is because, like others have said, they are overselling.

You know, guys, overselling can be controlled and without any one. As far as I know nearly all hosting companies do it. I think if the company is big and reputable it cares about it very much because if the client is unsatisfied with the service of the company he informs the community about it and nobody else applies to this one for hosting service. But for me personally overselling (BIG) = often downtime.

It's called "Overselling". Overselling is the practice of selling more disc space and/or bandwidth then you actually have. So what they do is this.

If the host has 1,000GB of bandwidth, and 80gb disc space, they sell it as if they have 2,000GB bandwidth and 160GB disc space. This is because when a user buys a hosting package, they generally only use about %20 of what they purchased. They might buy a 1gb /20gb package, and only use 250mb/5gb . This leaves room for the host to oversell.

The bad part about this is that when / if any of the users actually use what they have purchased, the server then becomes extremely unstable, and can cause downtime, or decreased server performance. The only upside goes into the hosts pocket. If you see a host offering a crazy amount of bandwidth for pennies, it is best to find another host, as you can almost guarantee that the server will soon be overloaded, and you'll be left with very little uptime, or very slow speeds.

There is also a difference in bandwidth. Teir 1 bandwidth, or level 1 bandwidth is the best obviously, and then there is cognent bandwidth. It's like the difference between bootleg clothes and genuine. While the bootleg clothes might look great, they will never last as long, or fit as well as the genuine clothes.

Link said:
Why is it that some hosting companies can offer you 400GB/ Month for a lower price than other hosting companies who may only offer you 100GB/month? Is bandwith really that expensive? I mean it's the second most important part of running a website.
Its either the company is overselling. Our they acutally mean it. Also it can be corporate scams

Last edited:
SuperbHosting said:
Its either the company is overselling. Our they acutally mean it. Also it can be corporate scams
not one of these are actually a good thing.

1. If they are overselling, you're placing your bets on that host, that they are overselling properly and efficiently. Most do not. Which is why you see so many complaints everywhere, about new hosts.

2. If they mean it, typically this can mean one of two things...1. They've received a nice discount, or 2. They purchased really cheap stuff. Ask the host which they've done, and I'll bet you 10 of 10 will say they got a discount, when in reality 2 of 10 actually did.

3. Corporate scams of course speak for themselves and can fall into either of the above two categories.

ANMMark said:

1. If they are overselling, you're placing your bets on that host, that they are overselling properly and efficiently. Most do not. Which is why you see so many complaints everywhere, about new hosts.

2. If they mean it, typically this can mean one of two things...1. They've received a nice discount, or 2. They purchased really cheap stuff. Ask the host which they've done, and I'll bet you 10 of 10 will say they got a discount, when in reality 2 of 10 actually did.

3. Corporate scams of course speak for themselves and can fall into either of the above two categories.
Exactly. Its all about the Corporate scams. that the average user sometimes does not pick up

ANMMark said:

Exactly. Its all about the Corporate scams. that the average user sometimes does not pick up. And Also is another gain for the company doing so.

it also has to do with the number of servers that the dc is averaging over. the larger the number means that there are more small users to average out the big guys which brings the number down and allows the dc to over sell more.

Usually bandwidth depends on the datacenter. I believe some of these new companies see "unmetered" bandwidth go for it and do not realize you can max out still on unmetered bandwidth to where every single client is receiving slow speeds. So you will see ridiculous offers like $15/Month unlimited bandwidth which is not the same thing as unmetered, it just means you have a 10-20mbit line capped. Now the reason for a company offering 100 GB bandwidth compared to another offering 400 GB bandwidth is that each and every host is different aside from the sub companies of larger hosts, the same people take the calls as the main company. Most hosts are all at different datacenters with different prices on different amounts of bandwidth. Some datacenters get deals on bandwidth for being long standing customers, just like hosts will get breaks on prices for being a long standing customer with some datacenters. In the end the companies that oversell will hurt all their customers once it hits the fan. What they are concerned with is profit, the unlimited hosts want profit fast so they oversell dramatically not knowing that one customer with a couple high traffic sites that should be on a dedicated server can eat up all their bandwidth.

Link said:

Bandwidth prices have dropped like a rock in the past several years.

well, host that offer alot of bandwith are ok in a sense. but the most important thing is space. so if they offer alot of bandwith, but low space. then thats no good. u want a host that is reasonable with his/her specs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting