Being a domain registrar?

sherwood

I read in another thread here that domain registration business wouldn't give you so much profits, that's why many existing domain registrars turned to hosting business to supplement their income. It makes sense, but do you think being a domain registrar is a good start? I mean, it's simpler and easier than running a hosting business. You just get your users' domains registered and that's (almost) all. Or, it's not that simple?

Considering it costs about $6500 to get started and $4500 a year to keep your accreditation, and you might be lucky to net $2.00 from each registration I would consider it a lot harder to make a profit.

Yeah, just try to make about $2.00 off of each sale. It's a lot cheaper than becoming a domain registrar. Basically, you need to be accredited by ICANN and the tools alone can cost you thousands.

You're better off just reselling for one of the bigger, reputable domain registrars out there, such as Enom, ResellerClub, NameCheap, ect..

We decided it was better to just do the hosting side and let the registrars do the registrations. If you find a good one (we did), then it's a lot easier to just let them handle it!

We decided it was better to just do the hosting side and let the registrars do the registrations. If you find a good one (we did), then it's a lot easier to just let them handle it!

This is your call, but as the other one have said before, it is pretty easy to be a domain reseller via enom or any other.

I simply think that offering an "all-in-one" service always looks better.

But its up to you!

Considering it costs about $6500 to get started and $4500 a year to keep your accreditation, and you might be lucky to net $2.00 from each registration I would consider it a lot harder to make a profit.

Wow, it's not that simple and cheap then. I agree with Hostleet to start with reselling domain names. Will the domain registrars (Enom and the others) sell domains to us at reseller price?

It easy to start Domain Registration business if you have money.But when you compare to profit against the administrative challenges i think its not worth while to invest in it.

It easy to start Domain Registration business if you have money.But when you compare to profit against the administrative challenges i think its not worth while to invest in it.

Agree, you should be really big registrar to have good income

Domain selling accreditation will cost you much for a newbie, Around $6000 or much more and after investing such a huge amount, you will get profit $2/ domain. Apart from this, you will have to pay yearly fee to ICANN. I don't think it will work now a days.

Devashish Biswas

MOD NOTE: 4.3 Signatures must be setup in your profile and not manually added to your messages.
http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/rules.php

Last edited:
You must become registered with ICANN, starting with a payment of $2500.So actually becoming an ICANN-accredited registrar is cost-prohibitive for small entities (and a waste of resources even for most big entities).

Yeah, now I know that being a domain registrar can be really costly, and it's not always easy to make profit from this kind of business. That's why even Go Daddy was for sale (I don't know the last update about the news though).

I'd agree with your friend. A good reason to sell domain's is if you already sell web hosting services. You want to provide everything your existing customers need. By reselling domains from a company such as Enom you should be able to make a few dollars profit which is worth it in my opinion mainly because it will keep your existing customer's happy.

Jack

You must become registered with ICANN, starting with a payment of $2500

You forgot the $4k/year fees, the $50k+ software development cost, the additional staff to handle everything, the costs involved in being a registrar-stakeholder, attending the regular meetings ...

Our best guess is that our accredited registrar service added about $180,000/year to our operating costs - all for more direct "control" in the domain process.