Best linux desktop solution

xion

I'm wonder what everyone's opinion is on a good distro for desktop use. I currently use Ubuntu which is pretty nice, but I'd like to switch to a rpm based system becaue I am too stupid and/or lazy to compile most programs. Some people have recommended Centos which I may try.

xion said:
I'm wonder what everyone's opinion is on a good distro for desktop use. I currently use Ubuntu which is pretty nice, but I'd like to switch to a rpm based system becaue I am too stupid and/or lazy to compile most programs. Some people have recommended Centos which I may try.
CentOs will probably be one of your best choices for a desktop solution. If you want powerful then go with Progeny Debian. You can't go wrong with either or. Both have great GUIs for installation which makes it much easier to setup the desktop solution the way you need it.

I'm currently using SuSe on one of my desktop machines. I like the overall look and feel of it. Seems to work well based on the little I have used it thus far.

I'm gonna get laughed at but I installed linspire today. It is actually quite nice and user friendly. You can actually download it for free, but you still have to pay to access their package service.

It's based on debian, so I'm assuming you can use .deb packages. Anyone know?