Best Name for Offshore Hosting?

DeluxeHost.com

We are considering branching out to Offshore hosting and want to create a separate brand. It's between a ".com" or two possible ".co's".

We are considering ".co" as it's not under the control of the US Government. They can confiscate your ".com" domain since Verisign (the ".com" Registrar) is located in the US.

Would you recommend we go with:
1) DeluxeHost.com
2) OffshoreHost.co
3) OffshoreSolutions.co

Thanks for your help!

I voted for OffshoreHost.co ... but offshorehost.com is taken, so I suspect there would be a fair amount of confusion.

What If by mistake your customer type offshorehost.com?

I will prefer to use .com without "Offshore" word in domain..

GetInTroubleHost.com ? What's the purpose of all this "offshore" nonsense - to get away with breaking the local laws?

GetInTroubleHost.com ? What's the purpose of all this "offshore" nonsense - to get away with breaking the local laws?

A lot of people look for offshore thinking they can. Truth is does not matter much anymore unless you get hosting out of Africa or some country that really does not care. Funny how quick people will believe a lie when a friend says "get offshore hosting so you can do illegal stuff"

DeluxeHost.com is taken I wonder if you are the owner? It's better to use .COM then .CO although .CO is the new era of domain names but still people first think off is .COM so I think we still need about 10years more to let people get use to .CO and forget about .COM it's not necessary to make your domain define your type Deluxe host is more eligible and elegant

DeluxeHost.com is taken I wonder if you are the owner? It's better to use .COM then .CO although .CO is the new era of domain names but still people first think off is .COM so I think we still need about 10years more to let people get use to .CO t
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I own DeluxeHost.com and DeluxeHost.co so maybe I should use the ".com" and have the ".co" be if the ".com" goes down.

When people say "Offshore" some are quick to assume that it's for hosting illegal files. The majority of "Offshore" hosts are for this purpose, but some like us have a different reason.

For hosts like us, the purpose of having servers "Offshore" is to create a professional highly secured host that does not allow the US goverment's preying eyes. To sum up what I will write next, it's very risky for any business to now host in US datacenters because of a new trend of the US Government to overstep their authority and shut down entire datacenters because of a single law breaking client.

There are several cases where this happened, you need to only google this to see them all, but one of them happened last year when the FBI had gotten a judge to allow them to shut down a single client of a large US datacenter, they went in, and shut down the whole datacenter and seized all of the servers, even those of law-abiding companies. The F.B.I. raided a data center, causing known online brands, including Pinboard, a Phone company, and those in the Curbed network to go offline and lose their files. Read more about it here: http://gizmodo.com/5814238/fbi-raids-data-center-seizes-servers-knocks-big-sites-offline.

Another datacenter in West Virginia was completely shut down due to the FBI going after one client. http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/20...opular-blogs-bookmarking-sites-offline-30081/
Don't think this can't happen at your US based datacenter, because it can.

Another datacenter in NYC suffered the same fate: http://citizenlab.org/2012/04/fbi-seizes-servers-from-nyc-data-center/

Everyone I hope knows how MegaUpload.com, a file sharing site, was shut down by the US Government, even though they were incorporated outside they US. But they still used some US servers, and this put them in trouble: http://techfleece.com/2012/01/20/megaupload-shut-down-by-the-feds/

ICE (immigrations and customs enforcement) of the Department of Homeland Security appears to have changed tactics and is taking ownership of domain names. You can read more about it here: http://www.dotweekly.com/ice-seizes-more-domains-whois-changed-on-one/

You know about the US seizing the ".com" domains fo the top 3 Poker sites, even though two of those sites were incoporated and operating outside the US. Now they've seized 82 more domains for much less reasons: http://www.inquisitr.com/104234/never-mind-the-poker-sites-the-us-government-seizes-82-domains/

The scary thing about US Government over-reach is that you have reason to be concerned about your domain, site, or business being taken down even if you don't have questionable content on your site. When your competitors learn how easy it is to make the US legal system work against your site, they may take advantage of it. This is especially true if they have more money for their legal department than you. If you choose to defend your website, you may win, but the legal process to defend may cost you more money then you would have made form your site anyway. That's why so many site owners just give up and and take their site down when they receive a DMCA or Cease & Desist letter or don't show up in court. Competitors can challenge your domain under the US system by sending you a C&D letter accusing your domain of infringing on their trademark which can end up in an expensive court-like process called the UDRP http://www.icann.org/en/udrp/. That's why it may save you money in the end to avoid US companies all-together in the hosting of your domain, site, and business.

Interesting discussion - being based in a country well known for it's internet freedom of speech legislation I quite often see enquiries along the lines of 'we want offshore hosting'. Digging into them, enquiries with the word 'offshore' in them almost always turn out to be looking for is an illegal warez/films/whatever sharing site or a host for DDoS attacks, and the conversation ends very quickly!

I think the problem is the word 'offshore' - it really has taken on a whole new meaning and really has become synonymous with illegal, which is a real shame as I'm not sure there is an accepted term for the type of hosting you are describing - freedom of speech hosting is probably the nearest I've seen used regularly, but I'm not convinced that it is widely understood yet.

My point? I guess it is that, if I were you, I might not be so keen to be associated with the term 'offshore', as it really does carry some very negative connotations and doesn't really describe what you are trying to achieve.

Interesting discussion - being based in a country well known for it's internet freedom of speech legislation I quite often see enquiries along the lines of 'we want offshore hosting'. Digging into them, enquiries with the word 'offshore' in them almost always turn out to be looking for is an illegal warez/films/whatever sharing site or a host for DDoS attacks, and the conversation ends very quickly!

I think the problem is the word 'offshore' - it really has taken on a whole new meaning and really has become synonymous with illegal, which is a real shame as I'm not sure there is an accepted term for the type of hosting you are describing - freedom of speech hosting is probably the nearest I've seen used regularly, but I'm not convinced that it is widely understood yet.

My point? I guess it is that, if I were you, I might not be so keen to be associated with the term 'offshore', as it really does carry some very negative connotations and doesn't really describe what you are trying to achieve.
Great point Brian! "Offshore" really has taken on some negative connotations.

I guess we'll go with "Freedom of Speech" hosting until we can find something better.
Thanks!

As a Canadian that moved down to Miami in 2001 (for the sunshine) I had lived my entire 30+ years in Canada and traveled throughout the world.
I am very opinionated and outspoken (but always right) however one of the first times I had a stranger say "You can't say that!" was shortly after I arrived in the USA. I hear that so often now, I just quietly laugh and think "freedom of speech?, Ya right"
The freedom of the internet is the same way here... freedom if I feel you deserve the freedom.

As a Canadian that moved down to Miami in 2001 (for the sunshine) I had lived my entire 30+ years in Canada and traveled throughout the world.
I am very opinionated and outspoken (but always right) however one of the first times I had a stranger say "You can't say that!" was shortly after I arrived in the USA. I hear that so often now, I just quietly laugh and think "freedom of speech?, Ya right"
The freedom of the internet is the same way here... freedom if I feel you deserve the freedom.
How right you are my friend! :smash:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikstrahost