Best practice for domain redirection

Mr. Nx

Hi, here i am again with another newbie question. I hope my little silly questions doesn't bother you.
Actually i have a website at www.mmmmm.com and a forum at www.mmmmm.com/forum. I have recently bought a new domain www.nnnnn.com for my forum. I want to make the forum stand alone with its own TLD. But i don't want to pay for another hosting package. Instead I have redirected my domain www.nnnnn.com to www.mmmmm.com/forum. (my current hosting package is unlimited)

do you think its ok, or do I have to move my forum to a new hosting package with the new domain? ( considering any side effects or negative impact if any)

Hi, here i am again with another newbie question. I hope my little silly questions doesn't bother you.
Actually i have a website at www.mmmmm.com and a forum at www.mmmmm.com/forum. I have recently bought a new domain www.nnnnn.com for my forum. I want to make the forum stand alone with its own TLD. But i don't want to pay for another hosting package. Instead I have redirected my domain www.nnnnn.com to www.mmmmm.com/forum. (my current hosting package is unlimited)

do you think its ok, or do I have to move my forum to a new hosting package with the new domain? ( considering any side effects or negative impact if any)

If I were you, and my host supported cPanel, I would add "www.nnnnn.com" to my current hosting plan as an ADDON domain first. Then, I would move the entire forum to the addon domain's directory on the server (ask your host for assistance if needed).

Once the forum is successfully moved and propagating properly on the domain "www.nnnnn.com", I would leave "www.mmmmm.com/forum" and its directory on the server, but simply place an .HTACCESS file inside the "forum" directory, which redirects "www.mmmmm.com/forum" to "www.nnnnn.com" seamlessly.. This way your visitors will not be confused, and will start using the new URL/domain straight away. ;)

If you've simply redirected your domain then the new domain is NOT a standalone forum - it simply points to the same one. Most hosts allow you to add "addon" domains that can have separate hosting from your main domain - that way you won't have to pay for another hosting plan.

Now thats what i was coming to.
I know, i mean I heard about that add on thing but i am just new in webmastering. I contacted my host about how to add domains to my hosting and they instead gave me the redirecting idea. Maybe they just dnt want to answer such a basic question.

I have access to cpanel, i can see the addon option but dnt know howw to configure. I don't understand a thing about cname Aname and so on.

I know its silly to ask but would any of you mind jotting down some step by step guide for me pls???

If you are not familiar with .htacess rewrite rules, it is better to set the redirects in your control panel. In this case there is no possibility that you make a mistake in your rewrite rules.

You can also use .htaccess rewrite generator, which can be accessed via the link http://www.generateit.net/mod-rewrite/

You can set the redirection through .htaccess file or if you have cpanel then you can set it through it.There is no need to get another hosting package.

There is an option in your cPanel that has redirection settings for you. You can configure addon domains using the guide that HostLeet posted above. Good luck!