Billing Software

We use Ubersmith and could not be happier. Switched to it from Modernbill. I would recommend to stay away from MB at all costs. WHMCS is being used by almost everyone now, so I guess it works.

Honestly, I love the boring interface of Ubersmith, it gets right down to the point and its easy to use on a customer standpoint.

WHMCS is the software we use, although Clientexec offer almost the same functions, but WHMCS have a nicer customer interface.

They do have a billing mechanism integrated in the hspehere which makes it good as you have all in one sort of thing with you right within your and your customers hosting panels.

I was in the process of making my own, for now I just use some excel and whatnot, don't have nor want a large client base, just about half a dozen paying customers whom I connect with at a personal level, prefer to do business this way, not in it for the money.

I wrote my own for VPS Guy. I could have been lazy and just used WHMCS(great solution BTW), but my own is perfect because if I need a new feature I can just add it. It's pretty basic at the moment with paypal billing, package management, support tickets, & VPS provisioning, but as I add to it I can imagine a year from now it may be worthy of selling licenses to other hosts.

Use Whmcs, its better than any other billing system.

Please don't take this personally, because it's directed at many others as well..

There's no such thing as "the best, or better that X".. Only "best for me" or "better than X in my opinion". I'm getting really frustrated as I read so many people making absolute statements about things that are clearly relative to their application.

Usually I'd just sigh and let it go. But there's a lot of people browsing these forums looking for advise. If you tell them X is the best they may just take your word for it. I'd much rather someone think "I don't know what's the best for me", research the hell out of it, and determine what's best for them based on their needs. Otherwise they could think "111host said WHMCS is the best, so here's my $324.95 Matt"...

I'm not saying WHMCS wouldn't be the best solution for many people, I absolutely love it, always have. But take VPS Guy for example.. When I started developing the site I actually had an unused WHMCS license, but it wasn't what was best.

There are so many things to consider. I suggest to make a list of needs & wants in a billing&/support system, then go though all available options with that list.

By the way mods, WHT has a nice little wiki directory that lists many common software(you know what I'm talking about). We should get something like that here.. Just make sure you back it up(lol).

Please don't take this personally, because it's directed at many others as well..

There's no such thing as "the best, or better that X".. Only "best for me" or "better than X in my opinion". I'm getting really frustrated as I read so many people making absolute statements about things that are clearly relative to their application.

Usually I'd just sigh and let it go. But there's a lot of people browsing these forums looking for advise. If you tell them X is the best they may just take your word for it. I'd much rather someone think "I don't know what's the best for me", research the hell out of it, and determine what's best for them based on their needs. Otherwise they could think "111host said WHMCS is the best, so here's my $324.95 Matt"...

I'm not saying WHMCS wouldn't be the best solution for many people, I absolutely love it, always have. But take VPS Guy for example.. When I started developing the site I actually had an unused WHMCS license, but it wasn't what was best.

There are so many things to consider. I suggest to make a list of needs & wants in a billing&/support system, then go though all available options with that list.

By the way mods, WHT has a nice little wiki directory that lists many common software(you know what I'm talking about). We should get something like that here.. Just make sure you back it up(lol).
We don't use WHMCS, but it certainly is an industry standard and very popular. Of course, you should match your requirements to the system you're considering integrating. :)

I think it depends on the services you offer. For example, if you are offering shared and reseller hosting you can use WHMCS if more advance i would use modern bill.

Out of curiosity, what does Modernbill offer that you can't do in WHMCS?

From my understanding there's better/support for Parallels software. Other than that I'm not quite sure. I used MB back in v4-5 and was disgusted with the support. I'm assuming Parallels has done much better with it, but I won't be using it unless I find I'm required to with a future project. :)

this is an intresting thread - it started back in 2006 -- read how it went from ModernBill to WHMCS --

Modernbill owned the market, then version 5 came out - and it feel apart --

we use WHMCS -- we did order modernBILL, couldnt get it running and 60 days later switched to whmcs - we should note we are a reseller as well

We use WHMCS, but it would be nice to see some other billing systems out there besides WHMCS and CE. If only a couple of PHP programmers would get together :p

Hey Domenic,

You beat me to it! I wanted to be sure that anyone reading this thread saw that the original suggestion of ModernBill was from in 2006 (when the software was one of the best on the market). The thread was rehashed again in 2008 and now here again in 2009. :)

I've used many various types over the years, even purchased ModernBill when it was $49!!! Now who else can remember that far back with the budding software? I had the pleasure of meeting Michael Fountain a few times over the years and we even did a bitch session about just what was wrong in version 4 and how awful the version 5 prototype was looking. I'm happy that they finally saw when to get out of the market and let someone else take over.

I've used Ubersmith, but due to the number of servers and the monitoring needed, we needed the DE version which was very expensive for what it did.

In late 2007 we moved to WHMCS and really haven't looked back. We've developed a few different tools for integration to get the software to do more things than it was designed to do, and for an "Out of the Box" solution it's a tough one to beat! Support is also good, and the community is fairly quick to post help when they can.

The downside to using an inhouse product is the certification and requirements that will be needed to pass PCI Compliance. The up side is that you know EVERYTHING that's in the software and it does exactly what you want to do. If you have the money, custom is usually a good solution.

As for DHD-Nick, what would you like to see different in WHMCS or CE? Personally I think the billing market is pretty covered at this time, but a server monitoring program, server inventory control and software version tracking information is software that is actively being seeked by various places. Would love to head up that project, but I'm not in a position to invest the money needed currently :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamHostBrett