Business Ethics

jmatos

I worked in the Funeral Industry for a number of years, and even started and operated a Mortuary Transport business for a while. I started, owned and sold a retail sunglass kiosk that grossed nearly 10,000 a month in revenue sales. This is just a few of the small businesses that I have owned and operated.

Now I am not the brightest cookie in the batch, but If I have learned anything about being a successful business owner, I have learned that one does not effectively build his business by tearing down the competitor and/or his ads or services.

When I owned my sunglass kiosk there was another kiosk business on the other side of the mall, the customers I earned came through honest and reliable business practices. I think the same relates to the hosting business. Before I started hosting, I watched the market. You can see even on this forum how cut throat this business is. I think ethical business practices go a long way. If you like my company then I am glad to have you as a customer. If you feel that another company best suits your needs then I will not stop you from going there. That is just the way I have always done business. Take a look at how some of the largest companies in the industry became profitable. They maintained their focus. Wendys didnt become successful because they discussed how aweful tasting McDonalds and Taco Bell was. The same is true for Wal-Mart, and many other businesses. Just my evening ponderings.

Ethics go a long way in this business and every business, cross industry. Good luck with your new hosting venture. :D

A long time ago I had a successful friend tell me never to mention my competition, good or bad. Stand on your own benefits.

I worked in the Funeral Industry for a number of years, and even started and operated a Mortuary Transport business for a while. I started, owned and sold a retail sunglass kiosk that grossed nearly 10,000 a month in revenue sales. This is just a few of the small businesses that I have owned and operated.

Now I am not the brightest cookie in the batch, but If I have learned anything about being a successful business owner, I have learned that one does not effectively build his business by tearing down the competitor and/or his ads or services.

When I owned my sunglass kiosk there was another kiosk business on the other side of the mall, the customers I earned came through honest and reliable business practices. I think the same relates to the hosting business. Before I started hosting, I watched the market. You can see even on this forum how cut throat this business is. I think ethical business practices go a long way. If you like my company then I am glad to have you as a customer. If you feel that another company best suits your needs then I will not stop you from going there. That is just the way I have always done business. Take a look at how some of the largest companies in the industry became profitable. They maintained their focus. Wendys didnt become successful because they discussed how aweful tasting McDonalds and Taco Bell was. The same is true for Wal-Mart, and many other businesses. Just my evening ponderings.

Web hosting is an extremely competitive business, because practically anyone with a few dollars can become a "web hosting company".

In order to succeed, you have to keep your head up and continue positively promoting your company and building your brand/image and not let negative comments from other company representatives on web hosting related forums get to you.

Represent your company with honestly and integrity and you'll succeed in the long run. But, if you misrepresent your company as something it's not, such as your website claiming to have more customers than you really do, you're more than likely going to get called out and exposed.

Web hosting is an extremely competitive business, because practically anyone with a few dollars can become a "web hosting company".

In order to succeed, you have to keep your head up and continue positively promoting your company and building your brand/image and not let negative comments from other company representatives on web hosting related forums get to you.

Represent your company with honestly and integrity and you'll succeed in the long run. But, if you misrepresent your company as something it's not, such as your website claiming to have more customers than you really do, you're more than likely going to get called out and exposed.

Very good comments. I agree with all of them.

When I owned my sunglass kiosk there was another kiosk business on the other side of the mall, the customers I earned came through honest and reliable business practices. I think the same relates to the hosting business. Before I started hosting, I watched the market. You can see even on this forum how cut throat this business is. I think ethical business practices go a long way.

Since you are talking about ethics and honesty as gold standard, I still cannot wrap my arms around some of the things that you are offering and say as a business owner. Namely, I would be very happy to hear your explanation regarding the unlimited bandwidth plan. Or the fact that you are stating you have over 20,000 clients, if you just entered the industry. Or that you have been in business for over 4 years.

Perhaps I am not understanding something and clearly I don't know how your business is structured, but I would nevertheless appreciate your answers to the above questions to clear this out.

Since you are talking about ethics and honesty as gold standard, I still cannot wrap my arms around some of the things that you are offering and say as a business owner. Namely, I would be very happy to hear your explanation regarding the unlimited bandwidth plan. Or the fact that you are stating you have over 20,000 clients, if you just entered the industry. Or that you have been in business for over 4 years.

Perhaps I am not understanding something and clearly I don't know how your business is structured, but I would nevertheless appreciate your answers to the above questions to clear this out.

The 20,000 clients is addressed on their site:
Fat Daddy Web Hosting is working in collaboration with LiquidNet Ltd., a UK-based company (Registration No. 4654498), which is a pioneer in developing innovative online solutions. Thanks to this fruitful partnership, a joint network has been set up, accommodating more than 21 000 web hosting accounts and 53 000 domains.

Ooooooooh, I get it now. I think. This is a white-label reseller solution of sort from LiquidNet? Something like GoDaddy in which content/products are the same. This would explain the copy of content on dozens of other websites.

In spite of the solution, can unlimited bandwidth be an ethical pitch?

Ooooooooh, I get it now. I think. This is a white-label reseller solution of sort from LiquidNet? Something like GoDaddy in which content/products are the same. This would explain the copy of content on dozens of other websites.

In spite of the solution, can unlimited bandwidth be an ethical pitch?

:disagree: No. Unless they have found a company manufacturing hard disks that have unlimited storage space, it is nothing more than a marketing ploy and unethical.

Good question - in terms of definition (black and white), I agree YES. In terms of perception, and for thousands of clients with unlimited hosting now, maybe not so cut and dry. I've seen the term FREE used in advertising since I was a kid, but always knew or suspected there was a catch. Is using FREE unethical, even if it isn't really free - sometimes that's not so cut and dry. It depends on whether the client is willing to follow their guidelines or programs they spell out in their terms. The same applies to hosting - with some providers that offer unlimited.

By some members belief's, all providers that use the term Unlimited are labeled as suspicious or unethical, including the likes of HostGator. My recommendation to anyone looking to host with any provider - is not to pay so much attention to the black and white, but to match your requirements to what a specific host offers - and ask a lot of questions (to them directly pre-sales). Be an informed buyer.

Good question - in terms of definition (black and white), I agree YES. In terms of perception, and for thousands of clients with unlimited hosting now, maybe not so cut and dry. I've seen the term FREE used in advertising since I was a kid, but always knew or suspected there was a catch. Is using FREE unethical, even if it isn't really free - sometimes that's not so cut and dry. It depends on whether the client is willing to follow their guidelines or programs they spell out in their terms. The same applies to hosting - with some providers that offer unlimited.

By some members belief's, all providers that use the term Unlimited are labeled as suspicious or unethical, including the likes of HostGator. My recommendation to anyone looking to host with any provider - is not to pay so much attention to the black and white, but to match your requirements to what a specific host offers - and ask a lot of questions (to them directly pre-sales). Be an informed buyer.

A very balanced view point.

I have already fully explained myself on the 20,000 clients on another thread.

The unlimited bandwith that almost all of the major companies are offering you dont seem to understand how you are able to embrace. Let me ask you this question. Are you able to wrap your arms around companies that say they give you a month of FREE hosting? Are you able to embrace your arms around a company that offers FREE site building tools even though these things are not free until you first pay for service. I will be more than happy to address the FREE BANDWITH that alomost all of the major companies offer when you can explain how you can embrace and even use the FREE pitch that so many use.

Respectfully

So in essence, you're saying if the customer is naive enough to believe "unlimited" is something a hosting provider can actually provide, then it's ok? But if you are an informed consumer and don't fall for it, then that's great too?

:uhh: Because that's certainly what it sounds like.

Since artashes is interested in my the things my company has to offer I am curious if he saw this statement on our website.

Unquestionable 30-day-Money-Back Guarantee
Fat Daddy Web Hosting packages include a 30-day money-back-guarantee, since we take into consideration the cases when someone will make a purchase from us and subsequently find that the product doesn't fit their demands or come up to their particular expectations. In the event of some mismatch between our services and your needs, you are free to request your investment back within one month of the sign-up date.

So in essence, you're saying if the customer is naive enough to believe "unlimited" is something a hosting provider can actually provide, then it's ok? But if you are an informed consumer and don't fall for it, then that's great too?

:uhh: Because that's certainly what it sounds like.

Are you an embracer of the "FREE" offerings also?

Since artashes is interested in my the things my company has to offer I am curious if he saw this statement on our website.

Unquestionable 30-day-Money-Back Guarantee
Fat Daddy Web Hosting packages include a 30-day money-back-guarantee, since we take into consideration the cases when someone will make a purchase from us and subsequently find that the product doesn't fit their demands or come up to their particular expectations. In the event of some mismatch between our services and your needs, you are free to request your investment back within one month of the sign-up date.

And Another quote from the website
Competitive Prices
One of the most important decision breakers in one's mind - when it comes to choosing the best web hosting provider - is the good price/quality proportion of the offered services. Fat Daddy Web Hosting lets you trim down your costs to the maximum, by giving you more than you actually pay for. A combination between high-grade web resources, multiple domain hosting and many extra useful features, such as pre-installed web site scripts, is available to you at a very affordable price.

Let me also add that there is nothing deceptive about having been in the hosting business for more than four years.

Are you an embracer of the "FREE" offerings also?

If the offer is indeed free, then yes. Such as giving a free domain name if a client purchases on a yearly basis.

Adding stipulations to such offers, such as giving a free domain name, but having the domain name registered in your business name instead of the clients (so the client doesn't technically own the domain name) or the inability to transfer the domain name to another provider before set amount of time (60 days - 90 days - a year) is just plain deceptive.

As a consumer, I will honestly say I really dislike deceptive marketing tactics and do my best to steer clear of companies that tend to use them.

If I was to go to an electronics store to purchase a TV that I saw an ad for that included a free DVD player and found the DVD player wasn't actually free because they raised the price of the TV to compensate for giving away the DVD player, I would more than likely walk out and never return.

I think all businesses need a code of ethics and stand by them. Unfortunately, many don't and only care about $$$.