Change of IP

kennithtan

Lets say Im given a set of 3 IPs with my main site sitting on one of them including my clients. Is it possible for me to change my current IP to the other two IP which is not in use yet?

tks

lets say i have 3 given IPs.
Im using one of them on xxx.xxx.xxx.3
my clients are also residing on that as well.
I have left xxx.xxx.xxx.4 and xxx.xxx.xxx.5 and i wanna change my main site only to .4 while my clients stay on .3

tks

If your domain's nameservers are different than your client's then this will be a bit easier.

The primary thing here, is merely changing the IPs assigned to the nameservers.

For example, if your client's use your nameservers ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com then you can change the IPs on those nameservers until the cows come home.

If you're using CPanel/WHM, simply login as root or power reseller on WHM, and reassign the IPs to the nameservers you choose. You will also need to reassign the IP for each account.

You might want to jsut check and see if your ethernet port has the other IP addresses bound to it, Apache can be setup to listen on all IP addresses, it might just a case of changing the A record on your website. It might be smart to make up a dummy subdomain and point it to one of those IP addresses to expiriment with the process.