Cheap hosts...

northtrex

I'm building a list of cheap hosts under $7 a month who have been online for more than a year and have many feedbacks on forums. Actually the cheaper honest host I found charge $6.95 per month. Any suggestion or feedback ?

Cheers!

northtrex said:
cheaper honest host... ...Any suggestion or feedback?

Mind you, there ARE honest and terrific hosting providers out there who have offers priced $7/mo or less (just look at the achievements of our community advisors and their offerings), as well as many other hosting companies out there. It all depends on what you actually are looking for to build - a list of CHEAP or the the list of HONEST hosting companies? What is your criteria for being cheap and honest? Certainly some on your list might be cheap, but are they honest when they clearly oversell their packages?

Best,

I'm curious what the criteria of "honest" host is as well.

For instance, Blue Host is offering 4gb space and 100gb transfer with a free domain name and no setup fee. Even if we set aside the extreme overselling the offer is misleading at best.

It isn't until you get to their payment form that you find out that if you order monthly the price is actually $9.95/month with a $30 setup fee and a $10 charge for the domain. And that is not even a monthly sign up since they don't offer that. It is for 3 months.
In order to get the offer on the home page you have to sign up for a minimum of 2 years.

I think if you are going to start an accurate list you should specify that the price is based on monthly payment sign up.

The overselling is a whole different issue.

I have just also noticed that most links to hosting companies on your web site are affiliate ones. Assuming the site in your profile is the same you are building, then the honesty factor becomes misleading right there, don't you think? If you prefer listing honest deals, then most would be unattractive (resource-wise) to new customers, because honest hosts won't be able to match overselling packages' offered resources in the first place.

Another thought.

Thank you Blue and Artashes.

Blue, yes you are right, I will list only the hosts who charge per month and do not charge setup fee. For the honest part I will use my experience.

Artashes yes of course I won't list affiliate links when I will officially start my website (couple of days). You said most honest hosts would be unattractive. I agree with you but my objective is find the few ones :)

Thank you very much!

but are they honest when they clearly oversell their packages?

I have a webhosting business and even if we oversell we are honest and have a good reputation :)

A honest host would :

Never sell domains name over $9!
Answer questions of their clients within 1 hour MAX 24 hours a day.
Never charge extra for any reason!

The list can be longer... I will think about it!

northtrex said:
A[n] honest host would :

Oh, I sure hope you mean "A listing criteria would be..." not actually meaning "Honesty" by it, right?

northtrex said:

I don't see how this is an honesty issue.

northtrex said:

Again, if a host doesn't advertise 1 hour response then there is certainly no honesty issues if they don't offer it.

northtrex said:

Some extra charges are inevitable. Are you referring to hidden charges?

northtrex said:

I think that would be a good idea.