Cheap Unmetered Vps's -- For real?

scmatt

I have seen some offers around other sites for a $3.99 VPS, with an unmetered port. Are these offers legit? I have never seen prices that low, not even the company I work for could do that

I very much doubt you would get that for $3.99... very unreal

The connection to the node may be on a unmetered port but not the VPS.

That price is too cheap to be reliable. If you have the money maybe look into paying for a more expensive VPS and then buy that $3.99 unmetered VPS and host files on it, but either way don't put anything on it you would not mind losing, I cannot see that host being around for too long at all.

If anyone is offering that, I'd stay away from them.

That's like me coming to you and offering you car insurance for $10, instead of $1000. It just doesn't make sense and is an unrealistic price. Chances are, sooner or later these guys will shut down or sell off their business.

Do some research and you'll notice the average type of prices yourself.

BTW, what's the link to this "supposdly" low offering biz.

I wouldn't mind seeing this link to. But I can guarantee there won't be an address; phone number and their Domain WHOIS will be guarded.

If you go to WHT, it's mr_brain.

>>>S v1: 1GB HDD - 64MB RAM<<<
1 GB Disk Space
64 MB Memory guaranteed (128 MB burstable)
1 Mbps full-duplex Uplink with unmetered Traffic
1 IP included
LxAdmin 100 Domain-License (5 GB Disk Space required) for free
ReverseDNS / PTR can be set to your hostname
Debian, Fedora, CentOS, Gentoo, OpenSuSE, Ubuntu, Slackware (reboot and reinstall at any time with HyperVM)
>>>Price: 3.99 Euro excl. VAT* / month<<<

welcome2inter.net

Dont under estimate such offers. Certain top quality brands have enough bandwidth and have enough "owned servers" to cut costs and convert the "investments" of rented servers into owned and translate the same for the bandwidth. Unmetered ports and upgrades are very much possibly. HOWEVER this is definitely limited to top companies and not just small players who need fast cash :)

3.99 Euro is about $5.80 USD, for 64 MB ram with 1 Mbit/s unmetered and 1GB disk isn't anything too extraordinary. Sounds like a plan meant to be a nameserver to me.
The 1Mbit/s, if you were able to saturate that for every second of the month only comes to roughly 320GB. A host with a 100 Mbit commit won't even notice someone using that.

This thread brings up a good point - when something says "unmetered" the first thought in your mind needs to be "What is the port capacity?" and the next "Is that dedicated to me or shared between who knows how many other customers?"

A handy tool to figure out about how much bandwidth you can get in a month out of a connection is to use Google. Ie. Search for "1 megabit per second = ? gigabytes per month" and it will tell you. Don't forget the real usage you will end up getting out of the connection is likely a lot less than what Google will list as your peak usage will be a lot higher than your average usage.

The kicker with that offer is the 1mbps port, thats nothing and will be slow for anything but a DNS server.

Also, how many such servers are they putting on a box? The disk will likely slow to a crawl.

1 GB Disk Space

LxAdmin 100 Domain-License (5 GB Disk Space required) for free

Very nice, a control panel you can't use.

Also, seems like people are confusing mBIT and mbPS? That package is 1mbps = 8MBITs :)

There is no overselling. Hosts have 8GB RAM, 400GB HDD and Core 2 Duo CPU. Each vps get´s it guaranteed ram and hdd. cpu-usage is not limited.

Each vps has a LxAdmin-License included, no matter how much HDD you have.

If you don`t know what´s mbps, I don´t know how you run a webhosting company.

Traffic is espacially cheap in germany. See for example 1and1.com. They offer vps in germany USD $ 10 less than in the usa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting