Colocation?

Price, and how many support options they have. If a company only has one way of support, I automatically rule them out. That's just me though :)

a nice big fat backbone helps alot, other than that everything TheBush said. Support is huge. I'd look for a 1-800 number, some sort of sign of downtime/uptime stats. (maybe a forum with power outages posted) if a colocenter has no problems it's too new.

I would also research it on other forums get some reviews from other people that host their servers there.

I hate how everyhost says 99.9% uptime. Have you really seen a host with 99.9% uptime? I mean, even if they do have it, almost every host says that.

TheBush, yes. my host at the moment has a 99.8% uptime for the months of January and December.

Script hasn't updated from 5min power outage tho... (it was at the datacenter)

Hmm... Well alright, I just get sick of always seeing 99.9% Uptime Gurantee, and then reading threads titled " MY HOST IS DOWN"...

TheBush said:
Hmm... Well alright, I just get sick of always seeing 99.9% Uptime Gurantee, and then reading threads titled " MY HOST IS DOWN"...

Hehe, yes! I can get 99.9% per month. :D.

But I understand what you're getting at.

You should be able to get 100% on network uptime, though you will need to pay for it.
Some of the lower priced colocation options you see out there are not going to offer you any level of redundancy and in many cases their routing is terrible.

blacknight said:
You should be able to get 100% on network uptime, though you will need to pay for it.
Some of the lower priced colocation options you see out there are not going to offer you any level of redundancy and in many cases their routing is terrible.
As with anything you must pay for that added incentive.

Do they have generators? Battery backup? Redundant cooling?

What about physical access to the data center when you need it? Do they have staff there 24x7, and if not, is there an emergency number you can call to wake someone up in the middle of the night?