Computer Issues

rocketgirl

My computer's been acting up lately. Sites I visit will randomly go down on a daily basis (but just for me). Facebook will redirect to various sites. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, Ad-Aware, and Malware Bytes. MSE removed a couple Trojans and now everything is fine except FB will still redirect sometimes. Any advice?

Have you run MalwareBytes - sometimes it will pick up stuff that MSE misses. Are you searching via Google? And does your URL address return the same with each redirect from Facebook?

Keep scanning your computer for malware. It sounds like you didn't have any sort of real time protection enabled when connected to the Internet. You should check and see if your ISP provides you with security software.

I did run Malware Bytes and it didn't find anything. Sometimes I search in Google, sometimes I use Swagbucks. The FB redirect has gone to the same site since I removed the Trojans with MSE. I will try ComboFix, thanks!

I did run Malware Bytes and it didn't find anything. Sometimes I search in Google, sometimes I use Swagbucks. The FB redirect has gone to the same site since I removed the Trojans with MSE. I will try ComboFix, thanks!

Check your browser settings too. The trojans may have set your browser to use a proxy. If you find a proxy entered in your browser connection settings, remove it and restart your browser.

ComboFix will normally take care of any proxies entered in your connection settings, but if you have a bad proxy set it may hinder you going to spyware removal software sites by redirecting to false sites, so you may want to check to make sure before trying to go and download ComboFix.

Hello,

Is all of the software on your computer up to date? Also keep in mind that having too many anti virus software running at the same time can cause issues.

One of my computers was running very slow and by removing the anti virus software is run perfectly :D

Jack

Hello,

Is all of the software on your computer up to date? Also keep in mind that having too many anti virus software running at the same time can cause issues.

One of my computers was running very slow and by removing the anti virus software is run perfectly :D

Jack

Very true. Most antivirus programs that have on-access scanners will really degrade your system performance and can even bring older pc's to a crawl.

Well I ran ComboFix and since then, so far so good. If it crashes again I'll have to figure out how to check browser settings and the DNS settings on my router. Thanks!

Well I ran ComboFix and since then, so far so good. If it crashes again I'll have to figure out how to check browser settings and the DNS settings on my router. Thanks!

Make sure Windows is up to date as far as security updates, etc. as well. Otherwise, you'll be right back to where you were before in no time.

Very surprised no one mentioned this.

A tool bar in your browser, or a browser addon with a piece of software could be active, this is a very common thing.

Virus, trojans and malware are not always the source.

Very surprised no one mentioned this.

A tool bar in your browser, or a browser addon with a piece of software could be active, this is a very common thing.

Virus, trojans and malware are not always the source.

ComboFix will remove that junk, which is why I didn't bother mentioning it.

I think my security is in a lot better shape now then it was before this issue. I hope I won't end up eating my words!

I really appreciate everyone's help.