Cpanel MYSQL

Harry

I had a odd question about Cpanel. Everyone knows once you login you're able to view how big your mysql database is, however, I've noticed during backups the cpanel size seems to be off, usually by a bit. Today I got another backup and the cpanel shows 124MB, yet when I downloaded it, the actual sql file was only 94MB.. Usually I've noticed a SMALL different, but that's a fairly large gap.

So I guess my questions is how accurate is cpanel really, with space, bandwidth, mysql etc.. on the default cpanel login page?

Harry said:
I had a odd question about Cpanel. Everyone knows once you login you're able to view how big your mysql database is, however, I've noticed during backups the cpanel size seems to be off, usually by a bit. Today I got another backup and the cpanel shows 124MB, yet when I downloaded it, the actual sql file was only 94MB.. Usually I've noticed a SMALL different, but that's a fairly large gap.

So I guess my questions is how accurate is cpanel really, with space, bandwidth, mysql etc.. on the default cpanel login page?

We've had a lengthy discussion about this on our own forums. Essentially, what it boils down to is that determining the actual size of some databases is not an exact science. As of right now, the software over-estimates the amount of disk space occupied by a InnoDB MySQL Database.

That's why MySQL disk usage currently is not counted towards a user's disk quota. The developers are working on a more reliable way of determining the disk usage of all types of MySQL databases and once that is done, then it is likely MySQL disk usage will be counted towards a user's quota.

cPanelDavidG said:
We've had a lengthy discussion about this on our own forums. Essentially, what it boils down to is that determining the actual size of some databases is not an exact science. As of right now, the software over-estimates the amount of disk space occupied by a InnoDB MySQL Database.

That's why MySQL disk usage currently is not counted towards a user's disk quota. The developers are working on a more reliable way of determining the disk usage of all types of MySQL databases and once that is done, then it is likely MySQL disk usage will be counted towards a user's quota.
ah, thanks for the clear up. I was always wondering about it. I do remember back in the day Cpanel didn't include MYSQL quote in the control panel. Then on their next version they did and now still do.

Thanks for clearing it up though, because I was wondering about that backup.