cPanel's Popularity

rocketgirl

cPanel seems to be the Google of the control panel world. While I hear Plesk and DirectAdmin mentioned, they seem to lag far behind. Do you think another control panel could ever rival cPanel or is it the king for the foreseeable future?

cPanel and Plesk dual it out on a regular basis, and there's a few others that pop up to proclaim that they operate with a lower memory overhead and less CPU usage etc. I've been a fan of cPanel for many many years (10 maybe), and I'd not personally change to another control panel any time soon. Our clients love it, it's easy for our admins to use, and it's what we're comfortable with. Price is not overly expensive and for what it does, it's worth every penny.

I don't see cPanel being knocked off any time soon as a usable choice, but I don't see many end users seeking out a host that must have cPanel - their main concern is uptime.

cPanel/WHM is very stable and cPanel is very open and friendly as a company. These are the main reasons this control panel to be preferable server management solution.

Plesk is a huge company and is slowly gobbling up all the ancillary services in the hosting world. That being said, cPanel has total held their own against them. The one chink that cPanel has had in their armor is the lack of Windows support. That has changed with Enkompass... however I don't know anyone using it.

I've used cPanel for maybe 8yrs and would not change.

Based on what I've read in other threads, your responses are not very surprising, but I was curious. It will be interesting to see if any serious contenders do pop up in the future.

cPanel is the best control panel IMO. I haven't seen any other control panel as user friendly as cPanel. If Enkompass works well, it could also defeat Plesk's market :)

I would not say it was a monopoly, but it does seem to be the most preferred at the moment. Our server uses cpanel and we like it (and so do our customers).

I've never used Plesk before, or any other control panel besides cPanel, so maybe I'm missing some features the other panels have, but cPanel has always had everything I've needed to make a good website. I've never had problems with it, and it's one of the major things I look for when looking for hosting.

cPanel is the only control panel I know and am used to. Even, I used to think that cPanel stands for control panel (doesn't it?). I think it will still be the Google of the control panel world for many years to come.

The good thing about cPanel is.. It's looks like GUI of your root access - you get many features at 1 place without any coding and all that u get most!

As like windows - when u work with windows you do fun.. u know Graphics and no coding less care.. stuff like that.. That's why they both are popular! :)

Cpanel is indeed more and more popular to webmasters including me. Individually cPanel will own a greater future than any control panel.

cPanel seems to be the Google of the control panel world. While I hear Plesk and DirectAdmin mentioned, they seem to lag far behind. Do you think another control panel could ever rival cPanel or is it the king for the foreseeable future?

Read Microsoft and Google Story on Wikipedia :D

Maybe in future someone make a better control panel :crash:

I've heard the exact opposite of some of you. My friend, who's a Cpanel NOC, has nothing but bad things to say about Cpanel. It's expensive, Cpanel has no support, you can't talk to anyone there, and on and on.

Personally I've never delt with Cpanel as a company but we don't offer Cpanel because of price. It almost doubles the price of a server. We offer DA instead and have very little complaints. If someone wants a server from us with Cpanel they have to bring their own.

I would have to say that 85.9 % of the hosting community is running cPanel/WHM...

I would never use or work with anything else but cPanel/WHM.

Just my two cents

cpanel is the best.. Its extremely popular. Just look in the offers section.. Thats pretty much all you see.

I believe that equally cPanel and Plesk are exceptionally good control panels. The major difference among Plesk and CPanel is the user interface. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference over which interface you'll be most at ease with. I would recommend going with the one you're familiar with and build your traction from there. However, no matter which control panel you make a decision on, you should see excellent results.

Another accepted contender in the control panel industry with a smaller market share is DirectAdmin. As an organization, the reason we use and prefer cPanel is due to the demand and requests from our existing clients and future prospects who inquiry about our services. From our internal stats the bulk of our prospects ask if we include cPanel with our hosting service before singing up.

DirectAdmin is much cheaper for companies. Though fact remains that cPanel is a way bigger company. They provide superb support for everyone. It doesn't matter if you get the license from one of their resellers...

I was in need of their support for a couple of times and I always had a fast response. All the employees they have got need to be paid from something. Same for dedicated server providers that provide managed support.. it justs costs extra money and that's what you see back on the bill each and every month :)