Dedicated Server Sales

Cryptonomicon

Does anyone have a rough idea of how dedicated server sales compare to shared servers?

One in a hundred?

Am trying to work out whether to promote them from an affiliate perspective.

Last edited:
It depends on your marketing methods, but we see plenty of dedicated sales orders compared to shared, but again it depends on method and brand

Well Mate it completely depends you how you promote your website and what dedicated offers you give on your website according to me compare to shared hosting dedicated servers and VPS get more sales.

Guys he asks for a proportion, it is not like you are helping :(

I don't have a data. You'd need to find any surveys or analytics about the Hosting industry and different niches. Just check whether IDC, Gartner, Tier1Research or any other organization like these has published some data.

Gartner publishes an annual survey "Magic Quadrant for Web Hosting and
Hosted Cloud System Infrastructure
Services (On Demand)". go find one of their reports.

Well mate it completely depend on you marketing techniques and on your company reviews if you are getting good reviews you will get good dedicated customers.

What are you trying to get to the bottom of? I would look at revenue rather than actual amount of each sold. There are free shared hosting plans and $1 hosting plans that dont make a cent of profit.

I s'pose at the basest most greedy level I am trying to work out the value of promoting say the $50 per signed on customer shared hosting or the $200 per sign on dedicated server hosting.

The latter is good if the volume is there - but the former if there are lots of people buying small services.

I know iPage and a couple of other EIG types mainly offer a $100 per sign on - but there are thousands of websites trying to chase that single sign on fee and you have to be the last stop before purchase -

In the end I will probably promote both and see - but still was wondering if anyone has a feel for it.

Well mate it completely depend on you marketing techniques and on your company reviews if you are getting good reviews you will get good dedicated customers.

It is not about the reviews, it is much more about the quality of the services. Technically speaking, a good provider should get good reviews, but customers might not go write reviews.

It depends on the type of servers being sold. Sub-$100 dedicated servers draw a lot of attention, under $50-60 even more. Premium servers usually sell more slowly.

Guys he asks for a proportion, it is not like you are helping :(

I don't have a data. You'd need to find any surveys or analytics about the Hosting industry and different niches. Just check whether IDC, Gartner, Tier1Research or any other organization like these has published some data.

Gartner publishes an annual survey "Magic Quadrant for Web Hosting and
Hosted Cloud System Infrastructure
Services (On Demand)". go find one of their reports.

I think the best response he could get is actually "It depends".

If someone said "One in a hundred", even if it was based on a survey, it would still mean nothing. I've seen sites that had the proportion of one dedicated server per 50 shared hosting sales and others with 1 to 1 proportion.

Does anyone have a rough idea of how dedicated server sales compare to shared servers?

One in a hundred?

Am trying to work out whether to promote them from an affiliate perspective.

It will depend on your configuration. Dedicated server is physical server which gives you complete control over it resources. You can reboot your server when needed and can also be completely customized in terms of the software it runs.

In shared server sharing the system resources limits to what can be installed in terms of resource allocation. The reason is stabilty and performance is our main concern for our shared servers.

Dedicated hosting is far expensive than shared hosting. So if consider sales ratio of dedicated server w.r.t. shared hosting it should be very less.

Only corporate client can afford dedicated hosting. For smaller website/websites shared hosting is always an affordable option.

However for increase the dedicated sales you need to attract client by giving them some good offers, quality customer service etc..

Your earn way more commisions on dedicated server sales. Additionally, if a services are managed, you save a lot of time on administrating. Shared hosting clients have more problems with their services, as they are often new into hosting.

Dedicated server sales are more compared to shared hosting it depends on your brand & marketing techniques also depends on you which marketing would be done more...