Difference between pinging and browsing

Jessica Rose

I've noticed that when I ping a host which is on the other side of the globe, I either get very high pings or the packages get lost. However when I browse websites hosted by the same host, the pages loads very fast even if it's the first time I'm visiting that website. Why do you think is that?

They could have some type of firewall or bandwidth limiting it place that limits the bandwidth on ping requests.

Ping is a computer network tool used to test whether a particular host is reachable across an IP network, it is also used to self test the network interface card of the computer.
So ping is altogether different from browsing

MOD NOTE: Signatures must be added through user control panel and not manually added to posts.

Pings just send a signal several times & wait for the server to "answer". It's a useful tool but servers can be set to not respond to pings. Also a ping will send several signals. Your browser only needs one connection to "hook up".
Ideally you would have 4 clean-fast pings and good browsing but 1 lousy ping and the website may still display fine.

Also going globally who knows what type switches & things you are encountering... the old saying is true "the Internet is not the miracle-the miracle is that it works at all" Built piecemeal over years with a varuiety of standards and equipment your pings may just be getting lost somewhere on the way but you still get the web site... it is strange, but with the Internet anything can happen.

Some routers/servers intentionally does not handle icmp messages properly (there are hidden in traceroute for ex)

Well if some are returning then she knows that the site is handling them, is not refusing ping. I can only think that there is an issue of some kind en route, the way that the DNS is handling it perhaps.