DNS Failover / Anycast DNS

willt

I'm not sure exactly what the terminology is, as everyone seems to call it different things. Was told to find a dns failover solution for our sites and a few of our customer sites and after a few hours of hunting all I managed to find was costly solutions from the usual names. We wanted something cheap, effective and 100% stable. Any way, I stumbled upon dnstrouble.com which is actually a sister site to the VPS provider I use. They offer a free dns failover solution for up to 5 domains, beyond this it goes to a business tariff, but for the average joe I think this is pretty dam good!

Any way, thought you guys might want to know about this, as its totally free and I've been using it for a while and its dam good and easy to use!

Linky https://www.dnstrouble.com/anycast/

cheap, effective and 100% stable
Which of those did you want - any one is possible, two would be rare rare, and all 3 virtually unheard of.

If it's so good, why do they not use it for their own dns, preferring softlayers ?

Have you checked out cloudflare.com - acts as a DNS backup as well as a CDN. Also filters traffic for additional security. Pretty slick and easy to use.

I have seen a few companies out there that offer this -- the names are escaping me at the moment, but as soon as I remember them I'll post here..

As far as the DNS Failover goes - I think this is a good idea if you're DNS servers tend to be slow and/or unstable..

We try to keep everything "In-House" as this reduces our over-head cost(s)..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting