Do CMS really make management easier?

bandboy

I used to have .html pages for my site earlier. Then i started using CMS. Tried Joomla, Mambo, Etomite, and others but i feel CMS aren't making your work easier any more.

Now you need to keep your installs updated or get hacked. CMS are getting attacked frequently. Upgrades are being released frequently. So, time you would have saved thinking that CMS is easier is now being used to keep additional script updated (CMS).

You've really combined two different topics here...easier content management vs. easier site management.

The short answer is, yes, CMS software does make content management easier.

The long answer...
CMS software is intended to make only content management easier, and it's intent is not to manage your website or server security. The truth is, your website or server can get hacked with or without additional software in place, and the difference between having or using a CMS application has no bearing.

The fact is, there is more than just content management, when considering starting and managing a website. There is content, design, design consistancy, SEO, site & server security, usability, network stability, etc. A CMS application takes care of 3 of those things, content, design consistancy, and usability. Essentially, these would be 3 things you no longer have to worry about.

In a sense, you can compare your opinion to the purchase and use of a new PC. A computer was created to make daily tasks, communication, etc easier. However, now that you have one, you can't simply use it, you have to make sure your antivirus software, anti-spyware, anti-adware, Operating system, additional 3rd party software, browser, etc is up to date. So the time that a computer saved you on your daily tasks and communication, is now taken up by keeping your computer safe from threat.

The fact is, there is a certain level of responsibility of the user that accompanies any purchase of any item. The item may be created to make a certain task easier, but it becomes your responsibility to make sure it continues functioning properly, through proper care of the item, and proper maintenance.

Last edited:
I agreee

CMS does make larger sites much easier to maintain but that has little or nothing to do with security. Good security is done at Server level, not per site though there is things you can do to make sure a script you are using does not allow a weak spot for potential hackers.

I really like what ANMMark said, and I thought I'd contribute my own opinions.

For what a CMS does you have to take into consideration what you're actually going to use in terms of its features. Anything you don't use still exists on your server, taking up space, and possible being a security concern.

But the reason so many content management systems are exploited has a lot to do with the fact they are deployed on such a massive scale. For someone trying to steal information, it is much more effective for them to find an exploit for a Windows computer over a Mac, because that's where the majority of users are.

But to get back to your main point. I think the best CMS if the one you develop for yourself. Every time I work on a website I build a CMS along with it. Sure, it might not have the features of joomla, but it does what I want it to, and I can fasten the security down further without going through tons of code.

bandboy said:
I used to have .html pages for my site earlier. Then i started using CMS. Tried Joomla, Mambo, Etomite, and others but i feel CMS aren't making your work easier any more.

Now you need to keep your installs updated or get hacked. CMS are getting attacked frequently. Upgrades are being released frequently. So, time you would have saved thinking that CMS is easier is now being used to keep additional script updated (CMS).

It really depends on your knowledge and skills as a Web Administrator.

Some people use CMS to edit their web pages. Some use control panels such as cPanel, Plesk and FTP to upload files.

For Me? Well SSH is good enough for me and the two main functions "nano" and "wget" is really all I need.