Do i need a dedicated?

Link

Hello, I have always used a basic hosting account but now with this new website I just bought, we are eventually going to build it up. Somewhere down the line I was told that in order to do what I wanted to do with the site, I was going to need a dedicated server. I don't know what a dedicated server is so I figured someone on here could help. The site is for a local dance music community. Eventually when the site is up and running again, we would like to be able to allow local DJ's to upload there mixes so users can download them. We also are going to feature a full photo album with about 100-200 new pictures weekly from the local events. Do you think I will need one?

Most likely if the site starts to generate a lot of traffic you will need a dedicated server eventually.
Shared hosting is not practical for sites that have a lot of downloads.

A VPS solution would be a better choice starting out until the site becomes busy enough to require a dedicated.

The forums on the site have about 2000 users, which at this point in time, not many of them get on because it has been down for about 6 months. But once the word spreads again there will be about 100 users a day just starting out, then it will grow from there when the downloads are done.

What is a VPS. I know what it stands for but I dont know what it is.

VPS is the equivalent of a dedicated server only with smaller resources.
They are generally fully managed.

I have used VPS Colo, ServInt and Knownhost.

So does that mean that if I run on a dedicated server that my website is the only one running on that server? Is that why it is called a dedicated because it is dedicated to my site? If, that is true then what makes up a VPS? I'm just curious because I know i will need to upgrade before too long, I am already about to upgrade from a basic account to a business account because bandwidth is already starting to run low. I know it's the end of the month but I don't want to take a chance of it running out.

A dedicate server means that 100% of the server resources are yours to use.

With a VPS you have a server that is segmented. Let's say the server has 10 segments. Each of those segments are 100% yours to use, similar to the dedicate server but there are more accounts on the server. You can still do your own software installations and restarts etc.

With shared hosting you will most likely be on an oversold resource and if you approach the resources you pay for you will quickly be cut off.
This is not always the case but it is generally the case in the budget range of hosting.

So it would be a good idea to go ahead and move on up to the next level that my hosting company has to offer? Like I said, people are usually on the site about 22 hours out of the day so I would like to keep it up and running.

This is just my opinion, but let it be known that I do not use VPS. The reason that I recomend KnownHost, is for the simple fact that I think they are very reliable, and that their support is really great.

My facts behind my opinion are that my company manufacturers their servers. You may think that I am just trying to push you towards a company that I am close with, but really, I do not get anything out of this, so that is not my intentions. If it were I would just lie to you and tell you that I use them and they are the best. Also, I have other accounts, not to mention a larger one that also provides VPS hosting, but I would not feel as comfortable recommending them as I would KnownHost. Nothing against them, they are great companies as well, I just feel that KnownHost is better by far.

Now, as I was saying, the servers that they purchase are really high end configurations, and top brand components. They spare no expense when it comes to parts. Another thing is that we put each of our servers through rigorous testing, burn-in test and what not, but they take it even a step further. They root into the servers before we even send them out, and do their own 72hour tests on them. With this being so, you can conclude that their uptime must be high, if not perfect.

As far as their support goes, I deal closely with their top support guy and he is a guru at what he does. They have never once called in about an RMA issue, or ever required support from us.

As far as a reputable company, they are constantly expanding. They purchase a minimum of 3 servers a month and have even purchase 18 from us one month not too long ago. On average, they purchase around 5-6 servers per month, so they must be doing something right.

Now I hope that I did not bore you too much with this essay that I just wrote, but the choice is ultimately yours. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Hello,

Currently you are hosted on a server where are n number of sites hosted along with your site.

When you go for a dedicated server, once single server will be allocated for your domain. That is the server on which you will be hosted will have only your site and nothing others.

Thank you .

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting