Do you run PHP in safemode on your server ?

Safe mode died off a long time ago. Yet, people complain you are insecure if you have it off... Security comes from server management, not PHP features on and off.

Yes, we used to run PHP in safemode on all our shared servers in 2002, Buddy safe mode died a long time ago.. and in some cases i heard makes your server more open to attacks.

No way, any experienced tech would never be so silly.

It will just cause complaints, tickets and problems.
Just do the proper thing, secure your server the tech way, not the 'n00b' way.

My views are, if you don't know how to secure one, don't even use one.

this is like frontpage extensions which EOL back in 2006 yet i have a client who used this for forms etc, so cant switch it off.

so if anyone can offer any alternatives that i can pass to this client

Just a heads up to all those running in SafeMode - when you upgrade to PHP 5.4 you will no longer have that option. For security reasons, Safemode has been removed.

That should pretty much show the light on why nobody recommends to use it on the older versions ;)

I think it's disabled for most hosting companies. many popular cms require it to be off or else it's not installing.

If you like web hosting to be functional you cannot afford to run a shared hosting environment + safe mode. This will break most of the customer's PHP scripts.