Do you trust reviews?

If the review is verified, the chance I trust the review is vastly improved. Even so, I always look for a hint of sour grapes or self promotion.

We depend on reviews from our customers, however as Steve mentioned, there's a big difference between a review and self promotion. Being able to verify that the person who submitted the review is legit is paramount.

Many times when it comes to our own reviews, we ask our users to post a page on their site with the review that way we can link to their site adn people know that the review is legit, rather than a review in a forum.

Usually, it is very easy to tell a fake review from a real one once you do a bit of research. So yea, I trust reviews when I know they're legit.

Reviews should only be trusted if there is something to back it up. IE: A website with a hosting review (and the whois is different from that of the host), and even that isnt enough from time to time. Its unfortunate that we live in a world full of scam artists who are skilled at even faking reviews.

I've trusted them in the past and been burnt so I've learnt to take them with a grain of salt.

Most of the times, reviews that are done in some blogs are paid ones, which the company pays for a positive one. But when you would go for forums with web hosting discussions going on there, people talk their real experiences with the particular web hosts there.

The last thing i would check is the testimonials page of any web hosting company, as sometimes they are just a showcase of true and false reviews.
Before you go to choose a web host for your website, better post a question in any popular hosting discussion forum and you will see how good/bad the host is. Forums don't usually show up biased reviews..

Frankly, forums such as HD and WHT are the best source of provider reviews in my experience.

People are far more honest and they have real world use cases to compare against.

It is hard to say "yes" when it comes to web hosting. Unfortunately our business is full of fake reviews and "top hosting" sites. At the same time reviews posted in web hosting forums are much more trustful.

When I shall answer a question like "Do you trust consumer reviews?", the answer is "yes". I alwasy check review for hotels, travel agencies, etc.

I tend to trust only forum-based user reviews.
I'll add well moderated forums. There are lots of hosting and webmaster forums out there, where shills are almost taking over the place.

I'll add well moderated forums. There are lots of hosting and webmaster forums out there, where shills are almost taking over the place.

I agree. Any company should be aware of risks involved in pursuing those kind of deceptive practices.

I think it is better to contact the hosting provider and check the kind of support they offer which gives a proper idea about the hosting services.

Yeah I agree with Henry Leed,because some persons's reviews are unilateral.so we should contact the hosting providers to get the full reviews.

I'll believe it, because it has a lot of people who recommend it ...
But first I'll try to look at their website to get complete information about their services..

Thanks and hope it can be usedful

Hi!
The sad truth of it most happy and pleased customers will not post positive reviews. They will post only if something is wrong or they are having problems.

They may post positive reviews if asked to or rewarded to do so.

Just my opinion..that's what I have seen. Therefore..reviews are absolutely worthless to me.

Bryon

Last edited:
i agree with brybert. people tend to post reviews more often when they are disappointed with a service rather than when they are pleased.