Domain Transfering

Link

I just recently bought a Website from a friend. He said that there is still 4 more months left on the domain before it expires but I was wondering how I would go about transfering the domain. I didnt know if it was possible but he says that there is a way, he just doesnt know how.

Ask him who the domain is registered with.
Sign up for an account with the same registrar and get him to push the domain to your account.

You go to the registrar of your choice and initiate the transfer (there will be a transfer charge, but it adds another year to your domain registration, so it's virtually free). After that, you and him just follow the instructions.

There's also the possibility of doing a "push" instead of a transfer. For this you'll have to have your own account at the current domain registrar (it's generally free to open one). Your friend should initiate the push of the domain in question, to your account.

Each registrar's interface is different though, so exact instructions are hard to give. Look for an FAQ page, or email the registrar for instructions on how to achieve your goal.

Good luck! :)

From what I was told, if he was to do a push then he would still own it until the end of the 4 months, Is this correct? Also, if I do what Blue tells me to do then I would have 2 domain hosting companies when I would really like to just have 1. Is it possible to use the same domain registrar for both domains including the transfer?

If you don't want to sign up with a new registrar your friend will have to initiate a domain transfer. The procedure will vary depending on the registrar.
As soon as the domain is transferred to your account you become the owner. Your friend will no longer have any control over it.

Blue said:
If you don't want to sign up with a new registrar your friend will have to initiate a domain transfer. The procedure will vary depending on the registrar.
As soon as the domain is transferred to your account you become the owner. Your friend will no longer have any control over it.

As he said, the person can 'transfer' the domain for usually $6.00-$10.00 and it transfers the domain straight to your accountl, on what ever registar you would like.

Upon the domain name being transfered, does it reflect the payment that have already been applied by the previous owner since he pays for it yearly or would I have to pay the remainder of the year. I would assume that since it has already been payed for then it would be up to him if I need to pay him for the remaining months before he transfers.

If it's a push (w/in the registrar), then you will receive the domain as it had been when it left the original account at that registrar.

If it's a transfer (from one registrar to another), then someone most likely will have had to paid for the transfer, which would extend it for another year. Either you could transfer it to your account directly or have him transfer it to his account at that other registrar and then push from w/in that registrar.

Well I do not know what company he has the domain registered under. So pretty much I would just need him to transfer from his domain host to mine. Then one of us pays the transfer fee and I will have the domain with a one year extention no matter what the balance of time is left. Am I correct?

Link. You seem to be making this far more difficult than it needs to be.
You purchased a website from a friend.
Ask your friend who his registrar is and then initiate the transfer.

You will have to pay the fee which will be whatever your registrar charges for a one year registration.
If they are charging anything above the renewal fee they are ripping you off and you should change registrars.

I always thought that transferring Domains was really to much hassle,but it seems like it really isn't hard I thought it was harder than what you have said Blue. I have been holding back on selling one of my sites, because of this! I best get to it.

Jade said:
I always thought that transferring Domains was really to much hassle,but it seems like it really isn't hard I thought it was harder than what you have said Blue. I have been holding back on selling one of my sites, because of this! I best get to it.
Exactly - if you can fill out a form, you can transfer a domain. The registrars, obviously, will make it as easy as possible.

Hello,

You need to initiate the transfer from your current registrar for the domain to your friends domain registrar. Then the registrar where your friend has registered the domain will send him a mail asking for authorization for transfering the domain. Intimate your friend the same that he will be receiving the mail from the his registrar and he need to reply to that mail by giving the authority to his domain registrar to send the mail. Once the mail is send the domain transfered procedure get completed and the domain is transfered to your registrar. this is the one way to get the domain transfered in your name.

The second way is: You can create an account with your friends domain registrar and tell him to push the domain name to your account along with the ownership so that the domain is transfered with you .

Thank you.

Regards,

hostechsupport said:
Hello,

You need to initiate the transfer from your current registrar for the domain to your friends domain registrar. Then the registrar where your friend has registered the domain will send him a mail asking for authorization for transfering the domain. Intimate your friend the same that he will be receiving the mail from the his registrar and he need to reply to that mail by giving the authority to his domain registrar to send the mail. Once the mail is send the domain transfered procedure get completed and the domain is transfered to your registrar. this is the one way to get the domain transfered in your name.

The second way is: You can create an account with your friends domain registrar and tell him to push the domain name to your account along with the ownership so that the domain is transfered with you .

Thank you.

Regards,
you should make sure that the domain is not locked. if it is locked, you cant change the registrar of the domain. ie; you cant transfer.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting