Domains with Keywords?

rocketgirl

Do you prefer to use domains that incorporate keywords, or do you like domains that are short and easy to remember? I hear SEO arguments in favor of the first option, but as a user I like easily-memorized domains.

I think you can grow traffic to your new site faster with domains that incorporate keywords, but just giving your site a pulse helps tremendously.

As long as you keep it short, any approach should work. Stuffing 5 keywords in a domain just isn't such a good idea, but two short ones should usually be a fair compromise.

I'm a believer of the first option. But then do not go beyond bounds. This forum for instance has a domain name that is obviously made up of two keywords --- hosting discussion dot com.

It's easier to remember and associate with web hosting compared to Jelsoft Enterprises dot com (see copyright notice below). It's a nice company name. But it would require several repetitions before I associate that name with web hosting.

Great Debayo. I always go for short and brandable domains, but you have a very good point here. So, I agree with Idcdc, there is nothing wrong with incorporating keywords into your domain, as long as you can keep the domain short and easy to remember.

I hear SEO arguments in favor of the first option, but as a user I like easily-memorized domains.
Depends on if your visitors are coming to you direct or through the search engine - people dot "search" for nokia they go to nokia.com :D

As the cost is likely to be ~$15 each, why not go for both ?

Something simple and easy to remember that also shows what the site is about is best, in my opinion. Again, this site is an excellent example of that. Something amusing that catches the imagination is also a good option. And, of course, business names, when they are already fairly well known, are excellent.

If so,at least domain could be easily remembered,in case,even if people are not so familiar with your website,they could guess it roughly by the content or other factors on your website. Moreover,incorporate keywords in short for domain could be more friendly to SEO .

If your site is business oriented then u have to follow the step derived by the a SEO(domains incorporate keywords) to fetch the more & more traffic on your site .
Else if your site for just introduction of your business then choose whatever you like or whatever you can remember.

When it comes to the SEO end of things and how your visitors are finding you, this is what will determine the site name. People really don't care if the site has 40 characters if they don't have to type it in!

We use hundreds of "feeder" sites, or "funnel" sites. This allows us to capture a bigger part of the market and then filter the users into our main site. This is done in just about every business practice and works very effectively.

Now if a user has to type in a really long name, they'll likely mess it up, or it's hard to remember, but if they're just clicking links, it's not a big deal.

Having multiple sites with multiple keyword combinations that can prescreen users and then filter them into your REAL site is a very effective strategy and can have some really amazing results when you put it into practice.

when it come to seo, including a keyword in domain, helps alot. However if you have much capability to grow as unique in the industry a unique domain is preferred.

Short names has all sort of advantages i.e easy for visitors to remember and also search engine given them preference while crawling pages.

Its easy to promote your keyword when your domain is your keyword, I tried it, but it's not a primary target, you can get success without it

it all depends on your campaign, if you want to focus on SEO then use keywords but if you want to use social media (facebook, twitter, etc) then use a simple domain, people will remember it easier

I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive. I rarely type out domain names, rather bookmark them and save as favorites. With Twitter, most use short/tiny URL's anyway.

Short URL's are always handy for SEO, although the main thing is quality of work you do in coding and keywords. So, not just having a short name is all.