DOS Protection?

Rand1324

HD Wizard
Hey, someone threatened to do DOS Attacks on our server. We have DOS Protection
DDOS Protection: TopLayer Networks
and I'm wondering if it actually works against all kind of DOS Attacks?

I've never used TopLayer Networks so I am not sure if they are any good. It all depends on what hardware they use and if they have enough bandwidth and hardware to cope with the attack. If yes then you should be good :)

Also to play it on the safe side I would also install some DDOS software protection. Set a limit for the amount of connections before the IP is blocked by your software firewall. If the person is threating to DOS your server then I would just report them to the officials and get them shut down.

Get a load balancer and DOS mitigation software / hardware which will null route the affected IP should a DOS occur

I'm using Applicure dotDefender and it seems to be the perfect tool for DOS protection.
It also provides you with SQLInjection and XSS protection and many other features. ^^

I hear that most places disable the ping function too as a way of reducing the impact that a DOS attack can cause. I haven't done this myself or experienced an attack, but certainly I don't think that it would hurt to try if you are worried about the potential for this to happen.

Also to play it on the safe side I would also install some DDOS software protection. Set a limit for the amount of connections before the IP is blocked by your software firewall. If the person is threating to DOS your server then I would just report them to the officials and get them shut down.

Yes I would do the same. Report them to the Police.

What kind of servers do you have? Also, contact your datacenter technical support so they can help protect your network.

It is probably best to contact your server provider and let them about an attack and ask them if their DDOS protection will really work. Some companies say they offer it, but don't. So, it is good to double check on that.

You could also say a little prayer/blessing to keep the script kiddies out. DDOS is such a pain to deal with, and I am really hoping that tomorrow (being a holiday and random of course) goes off without a hitch. Good luck!

Hello,

I don't think there is a way to completely stop a DOSS attack. More and more botnets are being created and I don't think the Average Joe understands what a botnet is and how they are helping these "kids" preform these actions.

Depending on the scale of the DDOS attack and what your provider has setup, you should have some kind of protection.

If you think you are going to get attacked, it is best to notify your provider as they may be able to provide you some more assistance.

Best of luck!

It'd be smart to also install software and not relay on your hoster's system.
Software firewalls are good as the uplink the server has, they can also overload the system by trying to block a lot of IPs in short intervals. So a real DDoS mitigation is really the best solution, unfortunately that doesn't come cheap.

The best way to avoid DDoS attack is monitor the sites you host, you can be surprise that one site on your server will cause problems to the whole server.

There are certainly providers and methods that combat DDOS attacks, some better and more expensive than others, but with botnets on 4 to 6 million PCs, a large attack can still cripple most providers.

You might want to ask your provider the ddos attack rates in mbps that they would be able to block. If the attack rates are something they cant handle, then there are many ddos protection providers with features like proxy where you dont have to move out your sites from your existing provider, the ddos service provider would filter the traffic and redirect them to your server.
Hey, someone threatened to do DOS Attacks on our server. We have DOS Protection
DDOS Protection: TopLayer Networks
and I'm wondering if it actually works against all kind of DOS Attacks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting