E-commerce Hosting

webline

If you have ever considered starting an ecommerce website here are a few things worth considering:

For most ecommerce sites, the requirements are the same as for any other website. If you want to use Magento, its probably a good idea to go straight for a VPS because of its resource needs. Other than that, it's about looking for good quality shared hosting, that doesn't promise the earth for hardly any money, and that has a good reputation.

As e-commerce sites take off, traffic and orders may grow to the point where they outgrow regular shared hosting and need either a VPS or semi-dedicated hosting. But few sites need that to begin with - as long as the site is well-coded.

Many e-commerce sites will want an SSL certificate, although if they're offloading all payment to an external site like PayPal that will be a decision to be made. So the cost of that (and the necessary dedicated IP) is another factor to consider.

I would suggest you to consider a few things for E-commerce hosting.

On the shared servers settings like PHP version, memory_limit below, customized application etc cannot be changed. The reason is stability and performance is main concern for our shared servers. If you wish to have customized settings you would need to take up VPS or Cloud hosting where you have full control over the server.

I would suggest you to consider a few things for E-commerce hosting.

On the shared servers settings like PHP version, memory_limit below, customized application etc cannot be changed. The reason is stability and performance is main concern for our shared servers. If you wish to have customized settings you would need to take up VPS or Cloud hosting where you have full control over the server.

Not necessarily, many hosts would provide you a variety of PHP versions to choose from, even up to the latest one. And if the customized application doesn't have any specific requirements that cannot run on the server, there are many shared hosts that can provide a home for it.

In my mind the ecommerce market can be easily divided to novice users/businesses and experienced ones. The experienced ones will already know how the whole idea works and thus have an idea of what type of server will best accommodate them. While novice users would hardly have any requirements exceeding a Shared environment. Its pretty easy to start with a builder like PrestaShop, WooCommerce, OpenCart etc. and a shared server would be perfectly enough for starters to host them. In this case, the only thing to consider would be if your host would be able to provide you with other upgrade options as your website grows and requires more resources.

Many e-commerce sites will want an SSL certificate, although if they're offloading all payment to an external site like PayPal that will be a decision to be made. So the cost of that (and the necessary dedicated IP) is another factor to consider.

no matter if you are using Paypal or not if you have an ecommerce site then you need an SSL certificate. if you are using cPanel then you no longer need a dedicated IP as cPanel support Server Name Indication (SNI)

I will suggest you start e-commerce with some CMS you can use 3rd party payment gateway so you no longer need SSL

and SSL is not just to encrypt payments, it encrypts all personal data placed on a site ( name, address, DOB etc) so any ecommerce site needs an SSL. In fact i would say they any business website gets its on SSL certificate as people will look for the padlock and if you dont have one then they will go elsewhere.

It's very difficult to overhear internet conversations.
I assume hosts are using switches and not hubs.
Since switches only open a path between source and destination overhearing the conversation is very difficult, were not living in the 90's anymore.
You would need root access to switch promiscuous mode on, so only the web hosts themselves would be listening in, and we could do that if we wanted to looking at the data after decryption or nosing through the customer's databases. I'm assuming hosts don't do that. I know I don't have the time or the inclination.
SSL gives the perception of security, and perception is everything.
If you pay more for an EV certificate, it's not giving you more protection, technically, but more accountability as you know someone has "verified" your business.
$50 for a GoDaddy EV, though, just how thorough is that?

It's very difficult to overhear internet conversations.
I assume hosts are using switches and not hubs.
Since switches only open a path between source and destination overhearing the conversation is very difficult, were not living in the 90's anymore.
You would need root access to switch promiscuous mode on, so only the web hosts themselves would be listening in, and we could do that if we wanted to looking at the data after decryption or nosing through the customer's databases. I'm assuming hosts don't do that. I know I don't have the time or the inclination.
SSL gives the perception of security, and perception is everything.
If you pay more for an EV certificate, it's not giving you more protection, technically, but more accountability as you know someone has "verified" your business.
$50 for a GoDaddy EV, though, just how thorough is that?

buyers expect to see the padlock or green bar when they visit sites where they will leave their details, if your site does not show either of these then buyers will go elsewhere.

no matter if you are using Paypal or not if you have an ecommerce site then you need an SSL certificate. if you are using cPanel then you no longer need a dedicated IP as cPanel support Server Name Indication (SNI)

Yes but if your clients are using windows XP you'll have problems. So I do not recommend this...

WebDAV Client included in Windows 7 and Windows 8
Internet Explorer (any version) on Windows XP or Internet Explorer 6 or earlier
Safari on Windows XP
BlackBerry OS 7.1 or earlier
Windows Mobile up to 6.5
Android default browser on Android 2.x (Fixed in Honeycomb for tablets and Ice Cream Sandwich for phones)
wget before 1.14
Nokia Browser for Symbian at least on Series60
Opera Mobile for Symbian at least on Series60

It is better to pay $2-3 / ip than to have problems, no?

Regards

Last edited:
Yes but if your clients are using windows XP you'll have problems. So I do not recommend this...

Regards

you cannot turn SNI on or off, its part of the internet, as its the process to allow SSL certs to be used without dedicated IPv4 addresses. this process is needed as when IPv4 IPs are no longer given and everyone use IPv6 addresses

I have no issues using my XP laptop

you cannot turn SNI on or off, its part of the internet, as its the process to allow SSL certs to be used without dedicated IPv4 addresses. this process is needed as when IPv4 IPs are no longer given and everyone use IPv6 addresses

I have no issues using my XP laptop

I didn't say to turn off, I just said that are still problems to it is better to use a dedicated IP address.

Regards

I didn't say to turn off, I just said that are still problems to it is better to use a dedicated IP address.

Regards

what problems, i have clients on my servers that dont have ded IPs and use SSL and can navigate through their sites on an XP laptop without issue.

dont forget IPv4 IPs are being phased out, so now all SSL CAs link SSL certs to domains rather that IPs