Email or Ticket?

Juon

Just wanted to see what has worked well for others....

For our SupremeWebServer brand, which was just re-launched, we are not sure whether to go the route of email support or ticket support (we'd like to pick just one). What are some thoughts on this? Which method would be better-suited to quick and easy replies to clients?

While one of our goals is, of course, to offer accurate support, we need to be super-fast in responding to inquiries, so take that into consideration when responding. I myself am just not sure which way to go.

Thanks guys!

Tickets will prove to be the more organised method. I'd go for it.

Besides, I believe most ticket systems will be able to autogenerate a ticket (and an autoresponse) for each support email that you receive.

If you have a decent help desk it will include email piping so you have the best of both worlds.

Tickets are definitely more oganized, and if you have more than one person checking and responding to emails, its almost a necessity that you use some sort of ticket system to avoid confusion with responses.

Ticket support all the way. Email to me is just not reliable enough if you get a few thousand emails a day one could get lost.

Yes, the good thing about tickets is helpdesks can be trained to reply with canned responses and remove spam etc, emails can't really do that (apart from the spam). There are a lot of good helpdesks out there, and some very reasonable and excellent quality if you know where to look. Auracle is a great application, I'll not link to it to keep within forum rules, but do a search for Auracle Support Engine and you'll find it easily. I currently use Intellodesk and Cerberus which are both great for what I use them for. Cerberus is a handy helpdesk, it's powerful and feature rich, but a bit expensive for new companies to invest in as licenses can't be sold by users cheaper etc.. Intellodesk is a cheaper option and much more basic, but again, it does what you need it to do and the pricing for addons is reasonable too. I'm sure most desks come with free options, which might fit your needs, and they don't usually restrict features, just staff numbers and ticket numbers.

I believe tickets are the best way to handle support - it provides better management of support issues and helps if you have a staff team. Tickets with email piping is another good solution.

I do ticket support for companies, and have done both over the years. Email just becomes a pain, tickets are a bit more "in your face" since most helpdesks allow you to sort in order of age and priority.

Juon said:
Just wanted to see what has worked well for others....

For our SupremeWebServer brand, which was just re-launched, we are not sure whether to go the route of email support or ticket support (we'd like to pick just one). What are some thoughts on this? Which method would be better-suited to quick and easy replies to clients?

While one of our goals is, of course, to offer accurate support, we need to be super-fast in responding to inquiries, so take that into consideration when responding. I myself am just not sure which way to go.

Thanks guys!

Few clients email any more than that ticket. Mostly to to organization and SPAM. If its a ticket system you'll never loose an important issue in spam.

Ticket system is really better and easy for managing the technical issues to provide quality tech support to the customers.

I personally think that tickets is the best way to go. But I still have an email account that is piped to the support ticket system. This way if somebody does send an email, a ticket is created automatically. Give me what I want and the customer has a little extra feature.

Tickets are indeed a great way to keep logs. This way if a customer had the same problem as another one before, you could go back into those logs and find out the quick fix.

You can also use the tickets as timestamps, when you have those customers who yell at you saying "It's been 4 days since I submitted a ticket!". You can go back to the tickets and find out what the problem might be.

HTH

I think tickets are the way to go so you have a record of all conversations between you and your staff or your customers so they cant say you said this but you never said it...

Email used to be alright, though MANY emails get lost or what not. Ticket system is actually the best way to go. This makes it MUCH easier for the staff to respond and view what needs to be taken care of at the time. I've also noted, I've gotten faster responces via ticket then email. I've used ticket systems for hosting earlier and it was more efficient for all the staff.

Forum's can also become a pretty good way of support. Although, It isn't as organized as a ticket system and you could possibly miss a thread or post, unlike the ticket system.

Without tickets we would have a very hard time keeping track of things as emails just get to messy. Replies are not always within the same email's and often get spread over many different emails which is harder to keep track of issues. As others have said get a helpdesk with full email pipping so you can do both. Email's automatically get turned into tickets.. :thumbsup: