Finding Forums to Buy

rylie

Where on the web is the best place to go to find forums for sale at affordable prices? I know it's probably been done a thousand times before, but I would like to start my own forum about parenting and working from home. I just need to be pointed in the right direction of where to start.

One option could be to find forums that are up and running but running a little bit slow and approach the owner with an offer. If they have a good amount of registered users then it might be possible to breath some life back in to it.

I think your ROI would be better if you do the opposite.
Pay extra to get an already active forum.

Many forums that have high membership and low volume are a result of give away schemes and pay for post recruiting.

The people who sign up under these programs rarely have any interest in participating in the forum in any meaningful way.

On the other hand, if the forum is already busy with a good core of regular posters it would be easier to expand on that.

I think you might be right there. If it is already having some success then it has to be a forum that will keep the members interested. How does one go about just starting up their own forum anyway? Are there places to go to get educated on the do's and don't's of it all?

There are actually tons of small nuances when it comes to purchasing a forum. The think to keep in mind is that you are not buying just a site - you are purchasing a community of real people - the reaction of whom is difficult to predict.

So the forum being active or dead becomes less important as the reaction of community members. You can purchase a forum that has hit a hard time and its users might welcome change. Or you can buy the most active forum there is, and users will get mad and stop participating. I have seen both scenarios happen quite a few times.

My suggestion, if you are buying a forum - buy a truly large and active community which is a leader in its niche. Surely it will be one hell of an expensive treat, but there is security in people not leaving their participation, because there is little other choice. If you cannot do that - then just stick to growing your own community.

There are plenty of communities and resources available if you want to delve into whole subject. While I don't visit them myself, I do rarely drop by www.theadminzone.com is one of the largest and active communities dedicated to help forum owners grow and manage their sites.

There are quite a few places that can help you learn how to start and grow your own forum, starting with support forums for whatever software you decide to go with. One thing to mention: if its not a forum with a free software you may have to purchase the forum plus your own license which can add on $100+ to your costs.

I don't think you'll find a specific site for forum buying and selling, however I would suggest you to keep track on SitePoint Marketplace/ DP buying and selling sections and relevant forums, you might find any such offer by chance.

I think that if you need to have good forum better to browse them yourself, emeil to the admin and ask. I think that would be the best cvoncern

Nothing is impossible. I've been on many forums that have been bought and sold and know a couple people selling sites with forums right now. Its all about where ou look and what you are looking for. A well running, active forum with lots of content isn't cheap though and often the software license doesn't come with it either which can add to the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123