first time hosting HELP needed

creative077

Hey i just finished a site for the municipal council of newark and he wanted a personal site he likes the layout and everything and he wants it up for about 2-3 years really dont matter. I was looking at some at www.godaddy.com anybody know any other ones and which is the best plan for a personal site.

Thank you. :help:

Hey i just finished a site for the municipal council of newark and he wanted a personal site he likes the layout and everything and he wants it up for about 2-3 years really dont matter. I was looking at some at www.godaddy.com anybody know any other ones and which is the best plan for a personal site.

Mod Note: 3.4 Participants may not post or otherwise transmit promotional materials, or any other form of solicitation, except in those forum sections where advertising is expressly permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any specific requirements :) ?

For a personal site, you can try to sign up for a starter plan for beginner :) There are many host offering starter plans with very affordable prices with good features.

Check out some reviews.

It will help you much I am sure ;)

Most personal sites use less than 4 GB of bandwidth per month - so keep that in mind when looking at plans. You'll want to choose a host that has larger plans so you can upgrade when needed; but you won't need to start out with the highest-bandwidth plan you can find.

As to which host to choose...that's not a small question. What you want to keep in mind is that you want to not pay a huge amount of money, but that you don't want to go with a host that crowds their servers so extremely that your client's web site runs slowly. You're buying a virtual service, so make sure you know how you'll communicate with the host. Look for a host that communicates well - and your own definition of "well" may mean a host that answers all of your questions no matter how basic, and has IM and phone support. It could equally mean a host who offers support only via support tickets, client forums, or email. It all depends on your preferred forms of communication. (Personally, I get twitchy if there isn't some kind of support forum at any of my providers. I may lurk more than participate; but I really value having that resource there. Sometimes other clients may have insight or ideas that the host's support staff may not have. Other people really very much prefer phone support. It's all down to how each individual communicates.)

My personal experience proves that it is better to start with smaller company, because the support team will be always willing to help you if you need it. The big one may simply forget about you because of the great number of clients. I have heard that **********.com is focused on delivering shared hosting and they offer free domain name if you buy any web hosting plan. The prices are affordable.

It is doesn't matter how big web hosting company is. I think that more important how it serve the customers. And if company is small that doesn't mean that it is better then bigger one.

Smaller hosting is always better than big ones.

Absolutely... Especially that is about godaddy, which has recently began hosing practice and oversells much...

get something not very big. Among the companies that instantly come up, Globaltap.com has nice offers, dreamhost as well. Moreover there's lots of banners of companies right on this site...

Big companies can lose the small important things that people love, like good client to rep service. Smaller companies for the most part are Mom/Pop and dont forget the type of service the bigger ones do. Keep in mind what another stated about personal sites being small, so dont go overpay for something you dont need.

Little confused in your reply, is that a statement or a full questions? It does go between client to rep, but also rep to client. How many times have you really had someone on the other end of the phone like to GD or HG know exactly what you meant? :D

I agree…its all about the service and support your going to receive. Smaller companies might be able to provide a more personal service.
Try the support system of some of the companies you’re interested in, and see if you get a informative response quickly.

All the best.

dont forget about support! find out which webhosts offer 24/7 live support if you think you might need it. :agree:

Do not go with godaddy hosting! They are good registrar of domain names, but low quality host.

Get something cheaper and smaller, say from Webhostgiant.com. This could be a good place to start, because of lowest prices and good hosting features provided...

Well our support is good, our reliability is good and our service is very affordable. Your always welcome to a trial, nothing like "try before you buy".

Yeah, my recommendation is to make a list of the features you really need (which it may take some research to find out what you exactly need). Are you going to need a server that can support multiple databases on one hosting account? Or maybe you need a server that can support ruby on rails, or another specific language. Plus look carefully into disk space and bandwidth requirements. Then, go through and make a list of the hosts that offer the features you need, and do some quick searches online to see which of those hosts have positive reviews and which have negative. Finally, take the top couple hosts and contact their customer support to actually test for yourself what it is like. If you do all that, then you will probably avoid the headaches that so many people get from choosing a bad hosting company.

Good luck!