forums

digit

Who else uses a forum with their hosting website as a method of support as well as getting to know your clients? Which software are you using? I am currently using MyBB because I like the features and plugins that it has

I like MyBB as well. In my opinion using a forum as a support method is only effective when your client base hosts personal type sites. How many small business want to spend time making posts? Most probably don't like help desks either, they use them out of necessity. They would probably rather use email.

In my opinion using a forum as a support method is only effective when your client base hosts personal type sites.
It can be effective when you're providing reseller hosting, as resellers and web designers (they often use reseller accounts to host their customers' sites) like to interact, and have their businesses online based. True though, a brick and mortar business with a small site, will be unlikely to pay much attention to forums.

I agree, it would depend on the type of client. Myself I wouldn't mind it too much, but sometimes you'd just want to be able to drop and e-mail or put in a support ticket and not have to post where everyone could read about your specific problems.

I agree, it would depend on the type of client. Myself I wouldn't mind it too much, but sometimes you'd just want to be able to drop and e-mail or put in a support ticket and not have to post where everyone could read about your specific problems.
I also offer phone, email, and ticket support. The forum is for the clients who like interacting with each other and as a means for helping each other out with little problems that they wouldn't really need me for.

A hosting companies forum only works when there's enough customers participating, I've seen way too many empty forums, it gives a bad image IMO.

Yes I can see that an empty forum would be of no use. I have seen community supported hosting and had wondered if that would be a problem that they would experience.

But yes, as digit said it can be useful for gaining help for issues that don't merit a ticket. However those issues might also be solved by posting on a forum like this-plenty of forums exist like this so I don't see the need to have one for your hosting company.

I think that they are helpful, but not absolutely necessary. I think that some people will be weary to post on the forums, so there needs to be other options available, as others have mentioned. Also, the forum would have to be populated, and should show that others with problems have been helped.

AbbieRose also makes a good point - there are plenty of forums out there that help might be offered. Some of your clients will flock to the bigger and more popular forums, but some might actually prefer a very personal one that is only for clients or potential clients.

Well i also have a forum where customers can ask for support but customers don't like to register into a forum for support, they call or email since they want quick response even for minor tasks.