Fraud Protection and Fraud Scores

We use Maxmind and have the score set to 7. I don't think we've had any problems with fraud orders since we've set it to that score(at least over 1 year ago).

We also use MaxMind, but we have our settings pretty strict, though. We currently switched to the new score (0-100) and made it so that it blocks anything above 3+. As most (if not all) of our legitimate orders have a score of 1 or less. We also block high risk countries and proxy servers, and use phone verification.

Like I said, these a pretty strict settings but they work well for us. We also try to verify every order the gets marked as fraud by contacting the client, just in case the order is actually legitimate (which 90% of the time it is not). Fraud protection can be a bit tricky, so you have to find what works well for you and your company.

We also use MaxMind, but we have our settings pretty strict, though. We currently switched to the new score (0-100) and made it so that it blocks anything above 3+. As most (if not all) of our legitimate orders have a score of 1 or less. We also block high risk countries and proxy servers, and use phone verification.

Like I said, these a pretty strict settings but they work well for us. We also try to verify every order the gets marked as fraud by contacting the client, just in case the order is actually legitimate (which 90% of the time it is not). Fraud protection can be a bit tricky, so you have to find what works well for you and your company.

Contacting customers with fraud orders isn't such a bad idea. I think we might start doing that as well. Usually, we find it's their country that automatically labels them as Fraud.

Contacting customers with fraud orders isn't such a bad idea. I think we might start doing that as well. Usually, we find it's their country that automatically labels them as Fraud.

Yes, I recommend you always contact any clients that come up as fraud when ordering. Sometimes they end up being legitimate and would have ended up being lost income, if you had not contacted them. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input guys. Currently, we are at 2. Othellotech, how do you set up the telephone-verification just on orders above 1.9?

For the majority of our services we require telephone verification at 2.5 and above (i.e. anyone using a free email serice) and anything above 5 is block requiring scanned documents and possibly payment via BACS,

Due to the amount of fraud we see with our VPS services due to instant setup, we had WHMCS develop a custom maxmind module so all VPS orders require telephone verification which has helped a lot!

Thanks. I didn't see the option for the minimum phone score before. I set up a similar system to what all of you have described.

Maxmind, with telephone verification on 2.6 and above, block order on 4.0+.

But I am currently thinking of raising the 4 a little bit as it has blocked some legit orders.

I agree. Phone verification of cardholder is the best way. However that requires additional support to be involved into. And as result that could make web hosting services more expensive.

It is done automatically and costs "I think" about .20 cents.

The .20 cents can save $, time and headaches in the future.

MaxMind is good, but if the email is from a free email provider such as gmail (gasp), orders get marked as fraud. MaxMind can be quite annoying at times, but it has also been extremely useful

Making a telephone is the best way for fraud verification. If you analyze each order closely including phone calls. You may avoid up to 99% fraud orders and hence charge backs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting