Fujitsu Server with Centos

sgwebhost

I am thinking of running RX100 Fujitsu Primergy using Centos Hardware Raid. My main worries are that the raid card cannot support Centos. The documentation only states Redhat and Suse. Anyone tried? Do you need to compile your own hardware drivers? What are the procedures?

My experience with RAID controlers is: If you don't use it with RedHat, you better compile it yourself.
The advantage with new technology servers: software RAID. More control, easier to manage: no drivers
PM if you need help for choosing the right RAID or need help to set it up

Yeah, with RedHat, it would be best to compile it yourself. I have barely any experience with RAID but I have a lot with RedHat/Fedora. If your managed, I would recommend having your hosting company configure it for you.

CentOS is built from the Red Hat source RPMS. So if they state that Red Hat is supported you should not have an issue with CentOS.

What is the RAID card you will be using.

Ubservers: Software RAID and hardware RAID are very different beast. While I use both, performance of a hardware RAID controller with battery backup and a good amount of RAM will trump software controllers in most instances.

Sorry to up this slightly older topic, but I assume the RAID card mentioned would be the one built into the RX100, which is by LSI.

Yes, it will run onder CentOS, but you can't use the Fujitsu installer DVD that comes with the server. However, the normal CentOS install with the RHDUP (download from Fujitsu) on a USB stick installs perfectly and the driver recompiles neatly through kmod on kernel upgrades. I did find I needed to --preload it in grub as otherwise the kernel might see two seperate IDE interfaces on the occasional reboot.

Anyway, we have about ten RX100 S5 and a couple of RX100 S6 all running CentOS 5 without problems. PM if you want to know anything specific (if you haven't got it up and running already).

In my experience the Fujitsu drivers are very stable but the way.